Author Topic: Hello strangers ! long time no see. What have i missed?  (Read 12585 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hello strangers ! long time no see. What have i missed?
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 11:27 PM »
Well that would include me then ;D For today at least, but probably not tomorrow.  At the moment I'm batting only 1-2% shortfall.  Goodbye 5%.

Seriously though, I'd be a fool to think my cooking is elite Phil, but I do understand where your coming from.  There are, no doubt, people who have cracked it, if nowhere else than for themselves.  The whole 5% thing and "my curries are just missing something" is a feeling I totally relate to as well though. I've felt it for a long time. Many years actually. The fact that so many of us have and still do express this common experience means that it is not a figment of imagination.  Whether it's actually 5% is not the question but there is this common perception among many that perfection is just out of grasp.  For me it's why I'm here on this forum.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 11:30 PM »
 ah I see. i thought you were having a pop at me for a minute. The last thing i would ever want to be categorised as is "elite"
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Im here to learn - just like everyone else - and Im having fun in the process. I may have done a few revolutions but Im still learning and enjoying the journey too.

Got my fair share of grief going on in the real world at the moment, so I really appreciate this forum at this time

Its good to see old members back like DD and Darth Phal too

Regards

Mick

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 12:56 PM »
I think, George, that what's acceptable to the ASA ought to be acceptable on CR0.

I disagree. Search for the term on wikipedia and you'll see where I'm coming from.

In any event, why go out of your way to use words like that when there are so many other words to use?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2014, 01:01 PM »
I disagree. Search for the term on wikipedia and you'll see where I'm coming from.  In any event, why go out of your way to use words like that when there are so many other words to use?

It may be (and I have no way of knowing) that DD is Irish, and in the Irish vernacular "(moderated)" is an everyday word. Also, Derek was one of the major contributors to this site, and I would hope that we would all welcome him back with open arms to encourage him to renew his contributions, rather than criticise his use of what is, after all, a very mild expletive and risk him disappearing into oblivion yet again ...

** Phil.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 06:34 PM by George »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2014, 06:38 PM »
I agree that DD is most welcome back here. So why do you escalate it into a storm in a teacup, also causing me more work, by repeated re-use of the word? It's not the first time you've done that. If you don't like my decisions, then complain to Admin.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2014, 08:32 PM »
PM's anybody?

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 12:10 AM »
How would one best describe "the taste of yesteryear" I'm afraid I'm a little too young to have experienced a real old school curry!

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2014, 12:35 AM »
Yesteryear probably had MSG in it for starters, but it is likely that something more has been lost in the move towards today's more health conscious meals.

It could also be a bit of memory playing tricks.  I know that Wagon Wheels were bigger, bubble gum tasted better, and lollies weren't sour back in the 60's and 70's, but I can't speak to the taste of BIR from the 1980's because I never ate any.  I really only started eating curry here in Oz in the 90's and to me they are still pretty much the same.

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2014, 01:19 PM »
I agree that DD is most welcome back here. So why do you escalate it into a storm in a teacup, also causing me more work, by repeated re-use of the word? It's not the first time you've done that. If you don't like my decisions, then complain to Admin.

Deleting posts.
An interesting method of avoiding 'work' :D :P

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 03:08 PM »
Its very encouraging that a few of you remember me!    I had a real blast using this forum several years ago. Best bit of the internet !

I will re kindle my curry making any day soon , and look forward to sharing any new discoveries at cr0

The last minor change I tried was adding half litre of Tescos finest  pre made chicken stock to the base .

This added some depth to the base, that worked well.

Next I plan to add some mooli radish to the base. Never got around to trying that.

©2024 Curry Recipes