Author Topic: No more bitter onions for me  (Read 5915 times)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: No more bitter onions for me
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 07:02 PM »
And I thought you already knew your onions N.O.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 07:06 PM »
But at least it's on here first

Hate to say it ch but I think someone , maybe snoopy(aka stevejet) posted it on bir (thou shall not have an opinion) site, hopefully Im wrong

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 07:38 PM »
MA
And I thought you already knew your onions N.O.

No matter what we know its nice to know some more and share it so others know some more and can help others wishing to know some more as well  ;D

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 07:44 PM »
Maybe if you don't have time to experiment with onions you should just stick to ordering take-aways
lol

I do believe , as happens with milder (Spanish onions),  that washing them first could remove some of the chemicals (or whatever you want to call it) that produces the bir taste after correct cooking of the said onions

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 07:55 PM »
Yes I am sure you know best MA :D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:39 PM by noble ox »

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 10:28 PM »
I think our Dutch onions here are pretty mild anyway at the moment but I did a 1kg batch of base yesterday and soaked them for 30 minutes then tipped off the water and started from there. Made for a pretty good base so it certainly doesn't do any harm.

It is worth noting that while some recipes / chefs stipulate either Spanish or White while other's say it doesn't matter at all.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 12:03 AM »

Hate to say it ch but I think someone , maybe snoopy(aka stevejet) posted it on bir (thou shall not have an opinion) site, hopefully Im wrong
But i wouldn't know about stuff posted on the dark side now, would I MA  ;D  ;) Ah, that's who snoopy is. I'll refrain from any comments for fear of giving George some extra work to do  ::)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 01:34 AM »

I'll lay claim to have posted a similar process on here many years ago. I said I'd par-boiled onions in water for a few minutes because I'd read that Pat Chapman recommended it. I never did a side by side comparision of the resultant base sauces though (with/without par-boiling) and I soon gave it up. As others have said, I've never noticed any bitterness in my base sauce.

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 02:01 AM »
I did some deliveries for a ta recently the only thing i seen of interest was a big saucepan of onions that had been boiling getting seived and blended then poured into anothere big saucepan that looked like it was full of oil so i guess the onions are cooked seperately then put in the base,solves the bitterness problem some people seem to experience i suppose.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 02:01 AM »
I've never noticed any bitterness in my base sauce.

I spoke too soon. For the first time ever, the base sauce I made this evening tastes of bitter onions.

I used the same ingredients as normal but a different method.

©2024 Curry Recipes