Author Topic: Ceylon Curry Recipe  (Read 8766 times)

Offline chef1707

• Chef
    • View Profile
Ceylon Curry Recipe
« on: November 09, 2006, 08:34 PM »
Any one got a good recipe for Ceylon...i'm trying to cook a really hot curry but without any bitterness and coconut and lime in Ceylon appeals

any ideas?

regards..

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Ceylon Curry Recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 10:48 PM »
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=422.0
Here you will find many recipes, I'm not sure what you mean by bitterness in a curry  :-\, i make Madras, Vindalloo,Tindalloo & Phall Curries all hot & none bitter, over cooking your Spices can make them have a bitter taste which may translate into the Curry itself.
Let us know what you mean by bitter matey & we'll help you in your quest  :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 12:26 AM »
Hi Chef1707,

The link Darth gave you was for curry bases.

I think he may have meant to give you this link to BIR recipes here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=415.0

Also check out this thread on BIR "Ceylon" type curries here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1284.0

Hope this helps!  :)

Just ask if you need any help or clarifiaction.

Regards,
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 12:01 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 12:44 AM »
....I'm not sure what you mean by bitterness in a curry.....

...just to add to this (and maybe it warrants sticking in a separate thread?):

I think that "bitterness" in curries may be caused by one, or all, of several things:

• from spices that have not been cooked adequately (to remove the "rawness")
  • from burning the spices (as Darth points out)
  • from burning anything else!
  • from using too much of a paricular spice (e.g. tumeric, fenugreek seeds/powder, etc)
  • from onions that have not been cooked slowly enough or for long enough (to remove the "rawness" and develop "sweetness")
  • from tinned tomatoes, which can be quite acidic I find (consider using puree, paste or fresh)

Of course, some curries are intended to be sour (e.g. Vindaloo) and the desired sourness is achieved by adding things like tamarind, lemon juice, vinegar, etc
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 08:01 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 11:29 AM »
Spot On Cory, and may I add that even Yoghurt can create bitterness if you use the wrong type- use bio/live/organic not chemical or sugar preserved types.  I would also add that traditionally a lot of Sri Lankan curries use dark roasted spices, and if you over-roast the spices they will go very bitter, especially fenugreek seeds.  Coconut is used a lot and generally roasted until a darkish brown (like Tamil & Keralan dishes use), this also can be quite bitter if it is stale or not roasted very carefully, in fact it is quite often made into a paste after roasting.

I posted a genuine Ceylon recipe (from my archives) on the authentic recipes thread but it got lost in the mist.  I have now reposted it ( link below) This is a recipe for any seafood, as that is the Sri Lankan preference, but it can be used for any meat really.  So here it is again.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1340.msg11905#msg11905

Good luck with this, it is one of our favourites, but not in any way a BIR style curry  ::) :o

CP
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 11:46 AM by Chilli Prawn »

Offline chef1707

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 06:43 PM »
Thanks for these replies...

I am a curry novice compared to you guys but have been experimenting for a year or so as a hobby...

I am guilty of using canned chopped tomatoes and usually greek yogurt..

but I am grateful for the helpful tips and links...will try them out...

great site btw  ;D

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 07:23 PM »
HI chef1707.

You are similar to me then, I had no professional or even a cooking background before I became obsessed with curry. 

I was told first hand that tinned toms go into the curry gravy but a little while later I was told by a different chef that he only uses fresh.  I have tried both and I wouldn't say there is a bitterness from tinned toms but like most things BIR there is no correct way just experiment till you find what you like.

cK

« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 07:25 PM by Curry King »

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 10:37 AM »
Right on CK. 

Tinned tomatoes usually have additional sugar (natural or added).  Where the bitterness comes from in my opinion, is the seeds.  Just try chewing one.  I use both types, but Iremove the skins from fresh and the seeds from tinned.  If you use fresh you should use mature soft ones that are just about to be ditched.  This is what most cooks use in their curries.  When they reach this state the sugar/acid balance is better and the toms are sweeter.

A little extra sugar helps to remove acidity (as the Indians do), because I am a diabetic I use Splenda powdered sweetner and it works a treat, and it doesn't cause the sauce to catch or burn.  I know its not Bir but I don't think that it matters.

CP

©2024 Curry Recipes