Author Topic: Takeaway demonstration - chicken pathia  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Takeaway demonstration - chicken pathia
« on: February 24, 2005, 01:21 PM »
OK, following on from last weeks demo by the chef of the Mughal Spice in Chepstow I was in the Balti Express in Caldicot last night.

When I saw the kitchen was open plan I immediately asked the chap if he wouldn't mind me watching the cooking, he was more than happy to oblige and chatted to me throughout the process.

The setup was very similar to the Mughal spice, all the standard pots laid out in easy reach - chilli powder, curry powder, salt, sugar etc. He used a 6-7" cast pan exactly like the MS.

He turned one gas ring up to maximum and there it stayed for the whole process. He started off with hot oil (I am presuming this was vegetable oil but could be ghee) and then added about half a teaspoon of finely chopped garlic, fried for 10 seconds then added about 3 TBSP of pre cooked onions (they looked yellow, exactly like the MS), he fried these for a bit and then added tomato puree (as he called it).

I had a good look at the puree this time, it was definitely not the double concentrate stuff we get out of a tube and looked much more like it was pureed tinned tomatoes (probably juice removed before pureeing), it looked very much the consistency of pasata.

He stir fried this for about 20-30 seconds and then pretty much bunged in all the other ingredients: 1/4 TSP salt, 1 TBSP sugar, 2 TSP chilli powder, 1 TSP curry powder, 1 TSP fenugreek leaves, pre cooked chicken, 1 TBSP lemon juice, 1/4 whole tomato then stir fried for another 30 seconds. Different to the MS at this point his pan caught fire a few times, quickly going out.

He added fresh coriander and then added one ladle full of base curry gravy, he simmered this for a few minutes and then popped it in the carton.

The only difference ingredients wise to the MS was that the takeaway used lemon juice while the MS added a wedge of lemon.

The curry base of both places looked similar, quite yellow in appearance and the consistency of thinnish soup.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Takeaway demonstration - chicken pathia
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 01:35 PM »
Hi Mark,

Ive been adding blended tinned tom's to my currys for a while now and I think its better than regular tom puree.  I tried adding them in at the begining as per the other thread and it seemed even better to me, I had had a couple of lagers tho so im going to make it like that again to double check!

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 01:51 PM »
Thats OK, I'd had a couple of lagers while reproducing the Pathia! (probably should add this to the ingredients list really  ;D)

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 02:28 PM »
That's interesting. Both the chefs you saw added the tom puree before the base sauce. I wonder if it's significant?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 10:30 PM »
That's interesting. Both the chefs you saw added the tom puree before the base sauce. I wonder if it's significant?

Yeah I think it adds to the richness if the tom puree goes in early, fry it with the garlic/ginger puree just before adding the first spoon of base sauce.  I used to put tom puree in towards the end either bought puree or belended tinsned toms, i think the blended toms taste better but the puree gives the right colour. 

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 09:33 AM »
Excellent work, I will be adding some Puree in at the Garlic/Ginger stage and see how it comes out.
Like you i was just adding in a TSP near then end.

Has anyone else made this curry as shown at home yet?
S

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 03:37 PM »
Hi all,

I think adding tinned ready chopped tomatoes (after the garlic and onion) makes a big difference.? It adds more body as the tomatoes aren't completely pureed but do break down with the heat and the stirring.? Another thing that I have noticed is that ready chopped tinned tomatoes seem to have a much fresher taste than puree, pasatta or whole tinned tomatoes.

I hope this helps someone,

Blondie
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 03:42 PM by Blondie »

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2005, 04:37 PM »
Unless I'm trying out a recipe that specifically requires puree, I always use whizzed up tinned toms as I think i get closer to the restaurant flavour with them. I've never tried chopped toms but it sounds like a good idea so I will be trying it.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2005, 08:47 AM »
I also use Tinned chopped Tomatoes in most of my Dishes i don't think Ive noticed any difference when Ive bought a Tin of whole Tomatoes instead & used them. 8)
Fresh Tomatoes do make a noticeable difference.

©2024 Curry Recipes