Author Topic: Pilau Rice  (Read 20705 times)

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Pilau Rice
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 10:52 AM »
Thanks, Mick. That gives me a starter for ten. :)

I wouldn't be keen on just rice for a starter and you'll not get much stretching it to 10 people.   ;D ;)  ::)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 11:42 AM »
I like it - it's my kind of wordplay!

I'm just disappointed I didn't notice it myself before I clicked the Post button! :D

Guess I'll give University Challenge a miss then...

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 11:56 AM »
Never been the same since Bamber Gascoigne left.   And why don't they "read" anymore ?  All this "studying" nonsense really gets my goat ...  And oh for the glorious days when contestants were still addressed by honorific and surname (e.g. 'Mr Blenkinsop') in "Brain of Britain" and not this ridiculous modern given-name nonsense.  Hmmppphhhh.

** Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 02:00 PM »
Is this the pilau rice thread or the rambling nonsense one?

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 02:05 PM »
Just to put it back on topic, I will probably add a Bay leaf next time too - which is normal for me to do in Pilau rice recipes

Regards

Mick

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 02:30 PM »
Is this the pilau rice thread or the rambling nonsense one?

Of course it's not the pulao rice thread; that is taking place over on the Chicken Dhansak thread, as you would know if you kept up-to-date with the forum posts ...

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2015, 03:26 PM »
...I will probably add a Bay leaf next time too...

Aye, you're right, Mick. An Asian bay leaf is needed for me too. I must admit that it's been ages since I made pilau rice, and I've been sticking to plain old boiled basmati. I'd sort of forgotten about making pilau rice until all these recent photos started popping up!

All change for Friday curry night this week though. Pilau rice with my curry and some of Colin Grigson's excellent Massur Dhal too. Can't wait! :)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 08:13 AM »
It works so well Naga.
At the end of cooking, all the whole spice end up on top of the rice so they are  easy to remove. Before I used to have to rummage around trying to find them all. Also the addition of the red food colouring works a treat. I used to get too much bleeding of colour into the bulk of the rice (if you get my drift).

sp's rice is now my No 1 preferred rice

With this in mind, Im going to have to give his naans a whirl too even though I give Happy Chris's a 100% bir rating

Regards

Mick

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 08:21 AM »
I'm going to make some of SP's pilau rice today to give it a go. I feel a bit curry-deprived this morning, so I've dug a portion of Chewy's Jal Jal Murgh out of the freezer to neighbour the rice.

Looking forward to it already! :)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 06:03 PM »
A not-entirely-artistic photo of a potful of SP's pilau rice made this afternoon. As is usual for me, I used liquid food colouring rather than the powdered stuff, hence it might look a little anaemic!

First impressions are not bad - not the most flavoursome pilau rice I've made, but maybe it needs to mature a bit. Not unpleasant either, mind you, but it'll be tested very shortly alongside a portion of Chewy's Jal Jal Murgh. Yum! :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 07:28 PM by Naga »

©2024 Curry Recipes