Author Topic: Bringing back hanging  (Read 20258 times)

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing back hanging
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 05:45 PM »
With any luck, UKIP will be calling the shots next year and get us out of the corrupt EU bandwagon - trade yes, everything  else NO.
Cost  me ?10k this year to get products tested to CE / EU standards, with ?5k pa ongoing fees - basically saying your old BSI standards are no good!  All passed - but it is a totally unnecessary, futile expense - all because the EU say it has to be.  Total & utter (moderated) - the sooner we are out of it the better !!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 05:20 PM by George »

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 05:48 PM »
If the all of Britain paid for their prescriptions.........

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2014, 08:13 AM »
Talking of hanging, there are still 4 pheasants in the shed from last Saturday...destined only for the bin now. What a shame!

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2014, 08:18 AM »
For those who think that society is soft on offenders, we are putting more people in jail now than at any time in the last few decades at the cost of thousands per person. So if you want to lock up more people then there will need to be more prisons built, all at the expense of us tax payers.

And I bet the dirty stinkin' crim's get free curry when they're banged up.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2014, 11:42 AM »
And I bet the dirty stinkin' crim's get free curry when they're banged up.... Talking of hanging, there are still 4 pheasants in the shed from last Saturday...destined only for the bin now.

Now that /should/ be a hanging offence; taking life for sport, then leaving the bag so long that it can no longer be eaten.  Give them to the foxes, if you can't bear to eat them yourself; at least then their little lives will not have been taken for nothing.

** Phil.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2014, 12:58 PM »
I thought pheasants were left to hang for a better tasting bird?
Search it - lot of write ups on this subject :-  here is one part of a long entry

'Pheasants hung for 9 days at 50?F have been found by overseas taste panels to be more acceptable than those hung for 4 days at 59?F or for 18 days at 41?F. The taste panels thought that the birds stored at 59?F were tougher than those held for longer periods at lower temperatures. Pheasants hung at 50?F became more ?gamy? in flavour and more tender with length of hanging.

Aha! One issue solved. Food writers rarely talk about temperature of hanging because most of them think about hanging pheasants outside, which is fine if you don?t live in California; even now it is too warm to properly hang game. It seems 50?F is ideal, and the 55?F my fridge is set at is acceptable.

Furthermore, an English study from 1973 found that clostridia and e. coli bacteria form very rapidly once you get to about 60?F, but very slowly ? and not at all in the case of clostridia ? at 50?F.'

I have eaten fresh - i.e 6 hours old pheasant - not a lot of taste - more like chicken.

I have also eaten hung pheasant & much tastier for hanging

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2014, 01:52 PM »
And I bet the dirty stinkin' crim's get free curry when they're banged up.... Talking of hanging, there are still 4 pheasants in the shed from last Saturday...destined only for the bin now.

Now that /should/ be a hanging offence; taking life for sport, then leaving the bag so long that it can no longer be eaten.  Give them to the foxes, if you can't bear to eat them yourself; at least then their little lives will not have been taken for nothing.

** Phil.

Thoroughly agree with you Phil on the sport and food issue, the two brace in the shed were left over from the last shoot as some guns do not claim their brace, I take them into site for our cleaner, a Bulgarian guy, and our site nurse who is from Zimbabwe. Unfortunately both are out and I had no other takers.

We always claim our brace and they always get used, but I take your point on leaving them out for the wildlife and they will be deposited in the Essex countryside later today.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2014, 01:53 PM »
We always claim our brace and they always get used, but I take your point on leaving them out for the wildlife and they will be deposited in the Essex countryside later today.

I commend you, T63.  (But I'd still eat them myself, if they were even half-way on the safe side of "putrid" !  Cooking in a good full-bodied red with plenty of ceps can mask even the flavour of a well-OTT pheasant in my exeperience ...).

** Phil.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2014, 01:56 PM »
I thought pheasants were left to hang for a better tasting bird?
Search it - lot of write ups on this subject :-  here is one part of a long entry

'Pheasants hung for 9 days at 50?F have been found by overseas taste panels to be more acceptable than those hung for 4 days at 59?F or for 18 days at 41?F. The taste panels thought that the birds stored at 59?F were tougher than those held for longer periods at lower temperatures. Pheasants hung at 50?F became more ?gamy? in flavour and more tender with length of hanging.

Aha! One issue solved. Food writers rarely talk about temperature of hanging because most of them think about hanging pheasants outside, which is fine if you don?t live in California; even now it is too warm to properly hang game. It seems 50?F is ideal, and the 55?F my fridge is set at is acceptable.

Furthermore, an English study from 1973 found that clostridia and e. coli bacteria form very rapidly once you get to about 60?F, but very slowly ? and not at all in the case of clostridia ? at 50?F.'

I have eaten fresh - i.e 6 hours old pheasant - not a lot of taste - more like chicken.

I have also eaten hung pheasant & much tastier for hanging

4 days is plenty for hanging pheasants given the current warm temperatures here in the UK, and then they can be a bit gamey for my palate. But I have never encountered a pheasant that tastes like chicken, hung or not.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2014, 01:59 PM »

I commend you, T63.  (But I'd still eat them myself, if they were even half-way on the safe side of "putrid" !  Cooking in a good full-bodied red with plenty of ceps can mask even the flavour of a well-OTT pheasant in my exeperience ...).

** Phil.

Honestly, if you go into the shed after more than four or five days you wouldn't want to eat them. I don't go for all that waiting for the maggots and the tail feathers to drop out.

Well hung pheasants do go down well with ferrets, but I don't know anyone that goes rabbiting, after all fair exchange is no robbery.

©2024 Curry Recipes