Author Topic: Bringing back hanging  (Read 20229 times)

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing back hanging
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2014, 10:25 PM »
Those are morchella esculenta. They don't fruit much in the UK but are supposedly mycorrhizal mainly with ash trees and maybe other species. The ones you find on bark chip are morchella elata and are the ones that you have most chance of finding. I make a point to check out any flower beds I pass each spring but so far have not seen any. You can buy dried ones in a jar from delicatessens but will probably wait till Lady Luck takes a shine and try them fresh. I'm not holding my breath. :-)

Offline macferret

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2014, 07:01 AM »
Thanks MushroomMike. Good to have a knowledgeable fellow like yourself on board. I love morels but they aren't found around here (SW France), although I think there are a lot further South towards the Spanish border. We had a Canadian friend who used to send us a huge bag of them every year. She hailed from Czechoslovakia and used to go into the pine forest with a wheel barrow. No-one else there knew or cared what they were. She would dry them, bag them and send them back to her family in Europe.
We get a lot of ceps here, but you have to be before dawn as the competition is stiff. The funny thing is that the French don't rate the common field mushroom at all - we can pick as much of them as we like.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2014, 11:05 AM »
Not too sure about my mushrooms, fried, but that looks like a decent slug of pastis sitting beside them on the table! :)

When in Rome ;)

Phil is correct, they sometimes show up dried in Lidl's 'luxury' range. 13euros for 30g or 800euros a kg. Cheap as chips.

©2024 Curry Recipes