Author Topic: Bringing back hanging  (Read 20228 times)

Offline TheCurryBible

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Bringing back hanging
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 08:54 AM »
I'm not sure how serious this thread topic actually is, but the reintroduction of the death penalty in this country is one of only two things that would make me leave without hesitation.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 09:57 AM »
That's one of the problems with the UK - no deterrents anymore - hence no respect for anything, including the law. 

There is a fine line between fear & respect.  Time some of the fear factor was brought back in.  Too many do-gooders, tree hugging liberal types out there today.

Court appearances these days result in a slap on the wrist in most cases & the offenders don't give a bollox.

Offline TheCurryBible

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 10:05 AM »
That's one of the problems with the UK - no deterrents anymore - hence no respect for anything, including the law. 

There is a fine line between fear & respect.  Time some of the fear factor was brought back in.  Too many do-gooders, tree hugging liberal types out there today.

Court appearances these days result in a slap on the wrist in most cases & the offenders don't give a bollox.

I agree that many judicial cases end up with custodial sentences that are too short, or no custodial sentence at all. I think the law should be much tougher in certain circumstances. However, I think state condoned murder is abhorrently wrong. I reckon I fall nicely in to your "do-gooders, tree hugging liberal types" category.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2014, 02:12 PM »
I'm not sure how serious this thread topic actually is, but the reintroduction of the death penalty in this country is one of only two things that would make me leave without hesitation.
I think the complete failure or desire to enforce the ban on fox-hunting comes pretty close ...

However, I think state condoned murder is abhorrently wrong.
I agree, but I would give those who would then receive a compulsory life sentence with no possibility of early release the option of opting for legal euthanasia if they so wished.

I reckon I fall nicely in to your "do-gooders, tree hugging liberal types" category.
As I do.  I also find the current UKIP/everyone else "keep out the foreigners, even those from the EU" disgustingly xenophobic and about as close to racist as one can legally get.  Ask (for example) the East Malling Research Station management which casual workers they prefer, and the answer is decidedly not "local folk, of course".  And not because Central and Eastern European workers cost less; rather, because they work a d@mned sight harder, and don't stop just because it's raining.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 04:15 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline TheCurryBible

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2014, 02:17 PM »
Yep. UKIP taking power in a general election is the second reason I'd emigrate without a second's hesitation.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 03:46 PM »
Now I am really worried. Twice in two days I have found myself in total agreement with Phil.....and I don't drink whisky ;)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 04:06 PM »
Now I am really worried. Twice in two days I have found myself in total agreement with Phil.....and I don't drink whisky ;)

Wow what you smoking?

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 06:26 PM »
For those who think that society is soft on offenders, we are putting more people in jail now than at any time in the last few decades at the cost of thousands per person. So if you want to lock up more people then there will need to be more prisons built, all at the expense of us tax payers.

Offline chillihothot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 02:24 PM »
I love this convo, reminds me of being down at my mates after a curry and a few beers. Happy days.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 03:48 PM »
So if you want to lock up more people then there will need to be more prisons built, all at the expense of us tax payers.

Maybe we should stop invading countries and killing lots of shepherds. That could release some money to build more prisons :P

©2024 Curry Recipes