Author Topic: I deep caramelized onions in 10 minutes. Tasted like candy. Pics inside.  (Read 7697 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chrisnw,

Any chance of posting recipe or link if already. The description sounds very interesting.

Offline chrisnw

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Jerry,

The recipe for the onion / tomato masala is on my personal website - http://mediamaze.co.uk/eatasia/onion-tomato-masala/

The website is very much a  'work in progress' so let me know if there are any problems, there is also an option to print the recipe on the website. I will be adding the full recipe for the vindaloo in the next few days, I will post a new link then. I am can post the recipe(s) on this site too, if it helps.

Also, here is a video of one of my favourite Indian chefs making a very similar oinion / tomato masala - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUfY2zY-SC0

Cheers
Chrisnw

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Welcome and thanks for sharing Timpy
Very good and refreshing post

But this type of onion prep, is not used in BIR Garabi/Base.

OK to use it in some final curries, especially lamb and beef, but it can overpower all the dishes
with the same background flavour, especially if you use whole Garam spices in the mix.

Some BIR use this type of precooked onion, instead of fresh service onions, but they don

Offline chrisnw

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile

You do get the same type of onion result, when you do a Bagar for precook meats
which some BIR chefs add to final dishes, along with the meat.

cheers Chewy

And with very good reason CT, this is my BIR 'Liquid Gold'  :P

Cheers
Chrisnw

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
I rate CBM's bunjarra recipe very highly, its lovely and sweet

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Chrisnw,

Many thanks for links. Will look out for rest of vindaloo recipe

I'm quite surprised on the idea of dehydrating the dried chilli thinking it would do same during the cooking. Is there a specific reason. Is it purely to help blending.

The masala is very much what I know as bunjarra but with fresh tomato which will certainly make more deluxe. I use black cumin.

Have 2 interests. The Goan coconut mill vindaloo sounds spot on as mains in it's own right. the chilli masala is of interest for BIR madras and vindaloo. I have posts for what I call no 3 madras and no 3 vindaloo. I'm trying to come up with what I call a sauce to make BIR versions.

Ps site impressive and must take some time and effort.

Offline chrisnw

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Jerry,

Thanks for the kind words re website, hope to get the vindaloo recipe up today.

I assume you meant 're-hydrate' with regard to dried chillies. They are soaked / simmered in boiling water for 10 - 15 mins, this makes them soft and very easy to blend. A chef from Kashmir showed me this, they make lots of wonderful red gravies using this method including the traditional Rogan Josh. You can use the water from the re-hydrate process, although be careful as it is sometimes very bitter depending on the type of chillies used. If I am just using Kashmiri chillies, I will always use some of the water in blending the masala.

Cheers
Chrisnw

Offline chillihothot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
I would LOVE to have this added in to a curry but perhaps not as the base. I think I'd appreciate the flavour of the onion a lot more when I could taste crunch and sweetness. Good post.

©2024 Curry Recipes