Author Topic: Balti Chicken (aka Karahi Chicken or Kadhai Murgh)  (Read 9163 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Balti Chicken (aka Karahi Chicken or Kadhai Murgh)
« on: November 12, 2014, 12:42 AM »
As I'm about to prepare this in "traditional method" I've placed the thread in this section.

Prologue:
"This is the original karahi recipe which inspired the birth of an entirely new cuisine known as "karahi cuisine" which is now known as "Balti Cuisine" in the UK. This style of cooking has been popularised in Pakistani-owned restaurants, Baltistan having become part of Pakistan after the partition of India in 1947."   Baljekar (1996, p. 42)

This must surely qualify as a Balti Dish although I'm sure some will disagree.  I intend to cook this in "traditional style" first, and then at a later date I will re-cook it using the Author's Kadhai Gravy (or Balti Base Gravy). This will involve transposing the original recipe to one that is more along the BIR style.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Balti Chicken (aka Karahi Chicken or Kadhai Murgh)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 01:24 AM »
Above is 400g of chicken thigh fillet cut into 1" cubes (slightly larger actually) and then in the marinade of Ginger Paste, Garlic Paste and Yogurt.  (only doing slightly more than half recipe quantity).

Ingredients ready to go.  Not pictured is warm water and the other half of the Ginger and Garlic pastes.

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 02:40 AM »
I'm intrigued by this kadhai gravy Livo, tell us more! I did a chicken balti myself last night inspired by a recent visit to Saleem's and results were pretty close... 8)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 03:42 AM »
I'm intrigued by this kadhai gravy Livo, tell us more! I did a chicken balti myself last night inspired by a recent visit to Saleem's and results were pretty close... 8)

Well here are the progress pics from start to finish of the cook.  Took nearly an hour so I'll have to see how the dish compares to one made with the gravy and pre-cooked chicken.

Noble Ox will be happy that it contains some colour and to be honest doesn't look too different to the photo in the book.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 03:44 AM »
Tomatoes in and cooking, up to marinated chicken added.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 03:46 AM »
Flame up to cook chicken for 6 - 8 minutes.  (See note at end of pic posts.) Through to late recipe additions of green chilli, methi, coriander leaf and Balti GM.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 03:47 AM »
Last stages through to finished.  Smells absolutely great.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 03:51 AM »
As you can see I'm using a small wok. I would not recommend cooking the full sized recipe on a standard home hob.  This was 400g of chicken and it was at the maximum capacity of my gas fired stove.

MM. The Kadhai Gravy is really just a base gravy that the author claims to be used in restaurant style preparation of Balti Cooking.  I'll give you some details soon.

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 08:22 AM »
????????????????????
Noble Ox will be happy that it contains some colour and to be honest doesn't look too different to the photo in the book.????????????????????

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 09:27 AM »
That looks good Livo, Nice pic's as well, Looking forward to a final recipe so that I can give this one a go, I tend to do a lot more traditional cooking these day's, rather than BIR.

©2024 Curry Recipes