Author Topic: Chicken Madras,  (Read 12385 times)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Madras,
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 07:11 PM »
Looks good littlechilie, but no tomato puree/paste in a madras? Watered down that's what normally causes the flaming. Graham Masala must be a regional thing  :)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 07:56 PM »
Well done lc looks delicious, no toms of any shape or form ? Good call on the ginger though.

SS still cant find your none lemon madras recipe?  ;)

Offline chrisnw

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 08:07 PM »

I use raw room temp chicken as the restaurants only precook for speed not flavour, if u think about it when u precook chicken it's practically cooking in a curry juice ;) I'm not in a hurry when I cook and it only adds another few minuets to cooking time.

One of the keystones of traditional Indian cooking is letting meat (chicken or lamb) cook in its own juices with little added liquid. Although this may seem inconsistent with BIR cooking, even a small application of this approach can transform the final outcome in terms of taste. I like to think that BIR is a constantly evolving technique rather than a commercially driven dogma, but I could be wrong (or even mad  :-\ ? and I add orange marmalade to my Madras  :o :o :o).

Well done LC  :) :P :)

Cheers
Chrisnw

littlechilie

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 08:11 PM »
Looks good littlechilie, but no tomato puree/paste in a madras? Watered down that's what normally causes the flaming. Graham Masala must be a regional thing  :)

Well spotted bud I have made the edit (tsp tom pure not watered down in to the hot oil)

MA, yep well spotted I also added one tomato quartered  :'(

Thanks.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 09:54 PM »
and I add orange marmalade to my Madras  :o :o :o).

You may very well do that but the resultant curry would no longer be a Madras!  ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 10:23 PM »
This is one dish that is still not cracked for me.

Consequently always clambering for members preferences on the in's and out's.

Given me the push to have another go at my no 3 madras.

For info I still can't decide if a tad of Ginger is needed. Must admit heart seems to overrule on each make and it's a garlic only.

Had a recent slight breakthrough  having realised the MDH brand of Kashmiri chilli powder is rubbish. Just got a bag or Hera brand - delicious and such a difference. Can't believe I've been missing out for years. That zerra madras recipe gave me the push to check it out.

I've also stumbled between small amount puree 1 tsp and large amount 1 tbs. Currently on large.

That tomato segment is something that keeps shouting at me. You don't see it at all places hence my indecision.

Fresh coriander is a must for me. Took a long time to even bottom that.

Quite amazing how so few ingredients and small changes can make such huge differences.

There seems to be endless variations out there in BIR land which muddies the water.

Browning the garlic puree is something Might just have to revisit given littlechilli endorsement.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2014, 10:55 AM »
having realised the MDH brand of Kashmiri chilli powder is rubbish. Just got a bag or Hera brand - delicious and such a difference.

That's an interesting find Jerry. Most people on this forum appear to worship at the altar of MDH Kashmiri chilli powder so you are at odds with the vast majority. Myself I don't like Kashmiri at all and think it has no place in BIR curries as the brands I've tried have all had an unpleasant bitter flavour...the MDH being the best though in that respect. I'll try to find the Hera brand though just for a laugh.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 08:24 AM »
Secret Santa,

not much takes me by surprise these days on BIR. this was a shock - a big oversight by myself (i'd never checked it out).

i've already used third of a bag in a week. i'm not saying that other brands will not be as good (TRS i always rate too).

the nearest example i can think of is paprika - buy the supermarket stuff and its OK, get the spanish stuff and a world of difference.

best wishes

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 08:49 AM »
Yep jerry, I have recently changed Kashmiri brands and was instantly hit a much more vibrant powder , on flavour and colour.
Can't for the life of me remember which brand , will update when I'm home

Offline noble ox

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 10:18 AM »
Could any one person find any evidence that a Kashmiri chilli exists
Kashmiri chilli powder is a mild chilli powder with colourings that's all and is and well over priced
When purchased as whole Kashmir chillis they are just mild chillis
20 years ago it was never heard of so whats all the fuss and trying to hunt them all about?

©2024 Curry Recipes