Author Topic: Gourmet Curry  (Read 5589 times)

Offline TheCurryBible

• Chef
    • View Profile
Gourmet Curry
« on: November 18, 2014, 09:14 AM »
Just curious as to whether anyone on here was interested in what I, probably incorrectly, refer to as "Gourmet Curry"? By that I mean less BIR as such, and more akin to the gourmet Indian fusion cuisine created in places like the Cinnamon Club etc.

Thanks

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Gourmet Curry
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 10:57 AM »
Definitely. Why aspire to bland, relatively tasteless flavours, if you can enjoy amazing flavours?

The finest flavours I've had in the UK were probably at The Red Fort in Soho, London. The chef was from North India. It reminded me of amazing flavours from hotel restaurants in North India itself. BIR dishes can sometimes be on the first rung of the ladder to those heights, but not often, in my experience.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 09:04 AM »
Just curious as to whether anyone on here was interested in what I, probably incorrectly, refer to as "Gourmet Curry"? By that I mean less BIR as such, and more akin to the gourmet Indian fusion cuisine created in places like the Cinnamon Club etc.Thanks

I think Gourmet Curries is a rather apt description and is something that some curry aficionados hanker for. The BIR has changed drastically over the last 20 years, and not for the best. What is served up in BIR's these days is a poor comparison to that which used to be found. The food standards are inconsistent and to my palate all taste the same.
For many years now I have mostly avoided BIR's and gone for two other options. The eateries that started out serving local Asian communities like Tayyabs and the Lahore which are now more frequented by us "white invaders", and the gourmet places you suggest, like Cinnamon Kitchen, Benares or my all time favourite La Porte Des Indes which serves Indian food with a twist of the French colonies.

I actually think the days of the BIR are numbered and, whilst I do not see them disappearing completely, I think that small towns like the one I live in will see the numbers reduce from the current four in town to one or two. Hopefully then those left will compete on quality rather than cost and quantity and I could once again enjoy a decent meal rather than the sludge they currently send out.

Until then it is the local Thai for a curry or my kitchen for a trad Indian.

T63

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 09:22 AM »
It reminded me of amazing flavours from hotel restaurants in North India itself.

One of the best curries I ever ate was in 1986 in a mess room on an Omani construction site. The kitchens catered for three thousand Asian workers who invited me there to try the chicken curry. I saw them preparing the chickens earlier in the day, and they looked more like Road Runner than what Tesco turn out. When cooked it was delicious. Far better than anything you could experience on today's high street.

Looking back, it was probably this experience that set me on my path of cooking curries to the extent that I do.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 10:44 AM »
One of the best curries I ever ate was in 1986 in a mess room on an Omani construction site. The kitchens catered for three thousand Asian workers who invited me there to try the chicken curry
And the "two can stuff themselves for less than AED 50" Indian cafe just around the corner from my wife's home in the Khalifa A district of Abu Dhabi also serves curries to die for.  It really does make me wonder why people are prepared to travel into the centre of Abu Dhabi and pay half of that or more just for a cup of coffee ...

** Phil.

Offline Shami

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 03:20 PM »
One of the best curries I ever ate was in 1986 in a mess room on an Omani construction site. The kitchens catered for three thousand Asian workers who invited me there to try the chicken curry
And the "two can stuff themselves for less than AED 50" Indian cafe just around the corner from my wife's home in the Khalifa A district of Abu Dhabi also serves curries to die for.  It really does make me wonder why people are prepared to travel into the centre of Abu Dhabi and pay half of that or more just for a cup of coffee ...

** Phil.

Any chance of some more info on the cafe Phil, I'm off to Dubai early next year and a trip to Abu Dhabi is on the cards. Would love to pop in and try a curry ;)

Jez

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 10:39 PM »
Any chance of some more info on the cafe Phil, I'm off to Dubai early next year and a trip to Abu Dhabi is on the cards. Would love to pop in and try a curry ;)

Planning to take lunch there when I arrive on Tuesday, Jez; will check name (which is a very odd name -- doesn't suggest an Indian food outlet at all) and try to get address/telephone number, etc.

** Phil.

Offline Shami

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 03:19 AM »
Thanks Phil that would be much appreciated.

Jez

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 07:43 PM »
Here you go, Jez.  Highly recommended are the mutton masala, mixed grill, biryani rice, paratha and mango juice.

** Phil.

Offline Shami

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 04:32 PM »
Thanks for that Phil, will definitely be paying them a visit (Can't believe the prices :)), I'll let you know how I get on.

Jez

©2024 Curry Recipes