Author Topic: shawarma recipe to do yourself at home  (Read 25023 times)

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: shawarma recipe to do yourself at home
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 12:26 PM »
Chewy - that style of shawarma 'serving' is like a diy version.  You need to make it into a wrap with the pitta / bread served - & adding the white tahine sauce is a MUST to bring out the flavours.
Eaten on a plate 'as is' will taste nothing like the whole shawarma wrap experience - and that assumes they have made it right as presented to you.  Not all shawarmas in uk are up to the mark and never confuse a shawarma with the doner kebabs so often downed after a boozy night - tastes are worlds apart.

Middle Eastern restaurant near me serves lamb shawarma as just a plain sliced / shredded plate of lamb meat sliced off the correct style vertical rottiserie with a pot of delicious Tahine sauce - nowt else.  I ask them for extra tabouleh and pitta breads - and much to their amusement and other diners make up my own wraps at the table.  Tastes great though.

Try my lamb recipe as above - as a wrap

Offline madpower

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 12:34 PM »
It seems nobody is interested in bir anymore,the last 3 topics being shawarma,pizza and roast pork.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 09:21 AM »
I now have a sample of black lime powder (rshome123)

This is a real find for me. I put in my special ingredients box ( obviously not for curry). The box includes sun dried tomato, saffron, Spanish paprika

I can't describe other than it is a lime taste that's got a much greater depth of flavour.

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 09:29 AM »
It seems nobody is interested in bir anymore,the last 3 topics being shawarma,pizza and roast pork.

Variety being the spice of life. ;D

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 01:13 PM »
Chewy - that style of shawarma 'serving' is like a diy version.  You need to make it into a wrap with the pitta / bread served - & adding the white tahine sauce is a MUST to bring out the flavours.
Eaten on a plate 'as is' will taste nothing like the whole shawarma wrap experience - and that assumes they have made it right as presented to you.  Not all shawarmas in uk are up to the mark and never confuse a shawarma with the doner kebabs so often downed after a boozy night - tastes are worlds apart.

Middle Eastern restaurant near me serves lamb shawarma as just a plain sliced / shredded plate of lamb meat sliced off the correct style vertical rottiserie with a pot of delicious Tahine sauce - nowt else.  I ask them for extra tabouleh and pitta breads - and much to their amusement and other diners make up my own wraps at the table.  Tastes great though.

Try my lamb recipe as above - as a wrap

Hi Ghoulie
LoL  ;D ;D Thanks, you

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 05:02 PM »
Grill n Chill lebanese site looks good chewy.  You're right my intentions were well meant - some people would think a shwarma presented like that was a knife & fork nosh do!

You clearly know better

re Bhuna Naanwhich - sometimes the naans aren't quite right' - too thick and it spoils the taste effect.  Hope theirs are good.

In middle east days, I would take hot lime pickle spread in pitta bread for a quick tasty lunch if I was out and about working away from the chance of a food source.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 05:07 PM »
I now have a sample of black lime powder (rshome123)

This is a real find for me. I put in my special ingredients box ( obviously not for curry). The box includes sun dried tomato, saffron, Spanish paprika

I can't describe other than it is a lime taste that's got a much greater depth of flavour.

Great find JerryM

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2014, 10:25 PM »
Finally got lamb marinating aimed at Thursday to cook.

The marinade is quite a difficult challenge. The Cinnamom will take time to get it's taste into the yogurt - making judging the amount very difficult. 

It's also difficult on 1st go to judge the strength of the black lime powder.

This is what I went with:

1) creamy yogurt - 6 tbsp
2) dash of cinnamon - fine grate sprinkle over surface of yogurt  x3
3) black lime powder 1 tsp
4) olive oil 1 tbsp
5) salt 1/4 tsp

Following chat with butcher ended up with shoulder. Aiming to BBQ it in medium thk (25 mm ish) slices then slice thinly for serving. My norm would have been to cube and skewer.

Also could not decide if a bit of bashing might tenderize or even if I should resort to Ausi Micks kiwi fruit method. In the end left both out for the next go

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2014, 12:10 PM »
JerryM - make sure you have crispy surface meat effect.  Be interesting to hear your view on this.

Re yoghurt effect - don't know if you saw prog with Heston doing Chicken Tikka for Butter Chicken dish where he queried himself for the need for yoghurt in tikka marinade - so in typical Blumenthal style he hired an MRI scanner to see if the yoghurt had a positive effect.  Result?  MRI scan proved that the yog did indeed take the marinade flavours deeper into the meat than without.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2014, 08:45 PM »
Ghouli,

Appreciate heads up on the crispy. Am expecting the shoulder cut will help make this happen better than say for a leg  piece.

Was not aware of the Heston yoghurt. It's an area I'm nervous on - the 6 tbsp disappeared into the 1 kg very quickly. Had made mental note that might need more on next make.

Ps I also felt I wanted to add a small amount of mustard oil ~1 tbsp. I haven't for this go needing to understand the taste 1st. The thought being the extra oil would tenderise more and just add a hint of an agreeable flavour. 

©2024 Curry Recipes