Author Topic: shawarma recipe to do yourself at home  (Read 24940 times)

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: shawarma recipe to do yourself at home
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2014, 09:59 PM »
great pic JerryM - looks delicious - I can taste it !

Offline macferret

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2015, 06:39 PM »
Just a bump to this thread to say thanks for the tip-off about black lime powder, Ghoulie. I haven't tried the shwarma yet for reasons of Christmas / in-laws staying, but I plan to have a go this weekend.
I did order some black lime powder though and it has transformed several things that I have cooked. Just one example: on Xmas Eve we were invited out and asked to bring a "salad with no lettuce or tomato". I finely sliced fresh fennel with very thinly-sliced lime and lemon juice and good olive oil; tossed in some pomegranate seeds and diced walnut; seasoned with salt.  Hmmm...good but not quite....so I tried a sprinkle of black lime powder and it went into orbit.  Three people have asked me for the recipe. I have warned them not to try it without the black lime.
Cheers,
Tim

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2015, 07:49 PM »
Hi

I think it is really worth the effort to hunt down a slightly thicker, softer and pocketless pittas that dont split as they soak up all the lovely meat juice and sauce.

They should look something like this

http://homecookingmemories.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/greek-pita-bread-pizza-1.jpg

http://homecookingmemories.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/greek-pita-flat-bread.jpg

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2015, 10:21 PM »
Marks and Spencer pittas are the best shop bought I've tasted

Elw

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2015, 10:22 PM »
Thanks everyone for the pitta suggestions. And Jerry that lamb shoulder looks superb!

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2015, 11:21 AM »
Just a bump to this thread to say thanks for the tip-off about black lime powder, Ghoulie. I haven't tried the shwarma yet for reasons of Christmas / in-laws staying, but I plan to have a go this weekend.
I did order some black lime powder though and it has transformed several things that I have cooked. Just one example: on Xmas Eve we were invited out and asked to bring a "salad with no lettuce or tomato". I finely sliced fresh fennel with very thinly-sliced lime and lemon juice and good olive oil; tossed in some pomegranate seeds and diced walnut; seasoned with salt.  Hmmm...good but not quite....so I tried a sprinkle of black lime powder and it went into orbit.  Three people have asked me for the recipe. I have warned them not to try it without the black lime.
Cheers,
Tim

Well done Tim - glad you found yet another use for black lime - thank the arabic cusine world for this one.

For diy shawarmas my daughter uses (and very successfully) fillet of neck of lamb - an often overlooked cheaper lamb cut.

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2015, 11:26 AM »
Hi

I think it is really worth the effort to hunt down a slightly thicker, softer and pocketless pittas that dont split as they soak up all the lovely meat juice and sauce.

They should look something like this

http://homecookingmemories.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/greek-pita-bread-pizza-1.jpg

http://homecookingmemories.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/greek-pita-flat-bread.jpg

For me, if the pitta type bread is too thick, takes away some of the tastiness of the wrap effect and becomes a little 'stodgy'.  This was the problem I found with the Atlas Shawarmas in Rusholme - bread just that little bit overthick & enough so to spoil an otherwise good shawarma filling such that I haven't been back to sample theirs again - which fortunately led me to try the shawarmas at Jaffa - excellent - albeit served as a diy for you to wrap.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2015, 12:20 PM »
Hi

I'm with you on that one EC.
I much prefer them to the oval pitas (pocket bread) that you mostly find with a doner kebab shop.
Much tastier and less faffing about especially when they're either dipped in olive oil or meat juices just before wrapping into a gyros etc..  :P

p.s. never seen a shawarma in a pocket pita.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2015, 03:42 PM »
Ed
Just make your own simple Pita, a few pence and better than any Supermarket version.
This is a DIY thread ;D ;D

cheers Chewy

Offline Edwin Catflap

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2015, 07:22 PM »
Hi CT

Have you a recommended recipe as I really like the cypriot etc type but would rather not pay 80p each if poss

I agree Dalpuri, lovely soft juiced up pitta is lovely right to the end where as the last bit of normal pocket pittas is a bit naff

Cheers

ED

©2024 Curry Recipes