Author Topic: Advice wanted for aromatic style  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Korma Chameleon

• Chef
    • View Profile
Advice wanted for aromatic style
« on: December 24, 2014, 11:20 AM »
I have everything ready for a beef curry today. I thought I'd go off-piste and make this one up as I went along. None of my current curry portfolio use green cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, coconut etc. A curry I used to cook before my 'base sauce awakening' did include 3 of the above and was a real nice curry, so I thought it worth giving some of these additions a go. Just wondered if you have any advice; perhaps even a curry that I have missed that contains such things? I even thought about adding sultanas; yes, way off-piste  :o. Is it a mistake to go the aromatic route with beef, and would you have any advice if I did?

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Advice wanted for aromatic style
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 01:17 PM »
Don't know about the coconut, But if you flavour your oil first with the cardamom, (4 smashed) cloves, (4) and a 1inch piece of cinnamon  , gives it a nice flavour. you can take them out or leave them in, choice is yours ;D

Offline Korma Chameleon

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 05:54 PM »
Thanks Les. It's done. I should have called this thread "Festive curry". I ran with the 4 cardamom pods, 4 cloves, 1 inch peice of cinnamon, and I added a couple of prongs from a star anise. I boiled some sultanas in seperate water and added the above to the sultana water about 30 seconds before I added the lot to the pan (just as I turned down to a simmer). I kept the aromatic theme with cumin a big part of the spice mix (50/50 with curry powder), ginger an increased proportion of the g/g mix, and garam masala near the end with fresh corriander.

It turned out well, but not spectacular. I feared one of the additions might come through too strong but it was not the case, athough I think I could easily increase the cardamom more than any of the others. I decided not to add any cream or coconut, but it might have benefitted, as it was on the salty side and that clashed with the aromatics. Mental note, less salt in sweeter curries. I also think it's best suited to chicken. Always learning  ;).

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 06:10 PM »
Your welcome KC,
Yes, it's a learning curve to be sure, but once you get on the right track, sky's the limit, just don't over do :D, or you will not be happy, and back to square one, remember less is more. a couple of more cardamom pods won't hurt, and a couple of bay leaves as well ;D just go steady with the cumin ;) things can get bitter with that stuff, and I agree with the chicken comment, of maybe even lamb.
anyway, all the best on your curry quest.
have a good Christmas.

©2024 Curry Recipes