Author Topic: Anyone heard about Hari Ghotra?  (Read 20523 times)

Offline robapierre

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Anyone heard about Hari Ghotra?
« on: December 31, 2014, 03:20 PM »
Hi Everyone

In the spirit of full disclosure, I thought I'd better mention that I'm the CEO of a digital agency called Jellyfish and we've recently gone into a joint venture with a very talented lady Hari Ghotra. I've got to say, this journey has propelled me into the world of authentic Indian cooking, which has been a fantastic discovery.

I came across this forum and thought what a perfect environment to get feedback on the Hari Ghotra proposition. Hari is on most social channels - Twitter, Facebook, Youtube (www.youtube.com/user/harighotracooking), Pinterest and also has her own site www.harighotra.co.uk.

I suppose, as curry lovers, I'd just be delighted to know what you think?

All the best,
Rob.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 01:54 PM by robapierre »

Offline adamski

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone heard about Hari Ghotra?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 06:28 PM »
The new Indian Nigella. Good luck, I hope one day to see Hari on TV.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 08:29 PM »
Hi Everyone

In the spirit of full disclosure, I thought I'd better mention that I'm the CEO of a digital agency called Jellyfish and we've recently gone into a joint venture with a very talented lady Hari Ghotra.

At least you have been honest about your interests, Rob.

I had never heard of this lady, but watched her do a lamb madras on YouTube and, I have to say, I'm quite impressed.

Best of luck with the venture :)

Offline robapierre

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 09:29 PM »
Thanks for the best wishes and positive feedback Garp!  :)

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 11:22 PM »
I've made her keema which was good and have 5 jars or her spiced tomato chutney on the side to be sampled.

London.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 11:04 AM »
Rob - many thanks for flagging up Hari Ghotra's recipes. I look forward to trying her saag aloo, for a start.  The acid test for me is whether any recipe tastes good - like food in the best Indian restaurants. Have you tried many of her recipes and what's your opinion? Which recipes are most likely to persuade us?

Offline robapierre

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 01:33 PM »
Hi George

I couldn't agree more! Please let me know how you get on with the Saag Aloo?

I have in fact tasted many of Hari's recipes. On occasions they've been expertly cooked by Hari herself; however, I've also cooked many myself. I've got to say, the results are usually outstanding! Well, always outstanding when Hari cooks them. ;)

It's very difficult to name a favorite, but if I had to choose three, I'd go for:

Lamb Madras: www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR_85reaTx8&list=PLiIFVnqAES7SO9hXJsN3I2hR7OTkoi_Mo&index=32
Pork Vidaloo: www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHyAhkvfwHs&list=PLiIFVnqAES7SO9hXJsN3I2hR7OTkoi_Mo&index=34
Goan Fish Curry: www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzKhthWcTII&list=PLiIFVnqAES7SO9hXJsN3I2hR7OTkoi_Mo&index=36

I will definitely get Hari to join and engage with the community here!

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 08:11 PM »
Looks pretty good - will be giving Hari a 'go'.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 10:04 PM »
Points for honesty Rob!

Well, I'll be honest too - thought the videos are overlong and not a good format for youtube, looks like an imitation of a tv cookery show. People watch TV cooking shows to be entertained (hence the larger than life characters), people watch youtube for practical info on how to actually cook. The format which works there is less fixed shot to camera, more cutaways, edited down, with captions and narration, etc.  Look at "CookedbyJulie" or "Allas Yummy Food".

Traditional indian recipes aren't really what most people are on this forum for, this place is all about pre-cooked base sauce and curries which are whizzed up in ten minutes flat, like restaurants do ("BIR" style).

Someone is spending good money on those videos, there's no shortage of production talent involved but I really don't see it working for you unless you can get a more unique offer in a youtube friendly format, 5-7 mins max!  Also consider steering Hari towards the BIR style as even a numbnuts like Julian Voigt (leviteish on YouTube) got 180k+ hits on a bad video of a bad recipe for base gravy.

My 0.00000002 million dollars supplied.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 10:32 PM »
Traditional indian recipes aren't really what most people are on this forum for, this place is all about pre-cooked base sauce and curries which are whizzed up in ten minutes flat, like restaurants do ("BIR" style).

You're right, my friend, that this forum is largely dedicated to making Restaurant/Takeaway style curries. But there are many who appreciate authentic/traditional style too.

People watch TV cooking shows to be entertained (hence the larger than life characters), people watch youtube for practical info on how to actually cook. The format which works there is less fixed shot to camera, more cutaways, edited down, with captions and narration, etc.

I had a look on Hari's website (link posted above) where there are recipes with 2 minute videos on how to put them together. Perhaps Hari, and Rob, are aiming to take a step further up the ladder than just posting YouTube videos - and good luck to them. Check out the website and you will get a less TV-style approach :)

©2024 Curry Recipes