Author Topic: Anyone heard about Hari Ghotra?  (Read 20543 times)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone heard about Hari Ghotra?
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 09:37 AM »
Same.  I've usually just ground the whole lot up if a recipe for a powder calls for them.  Recipes for these powders rarely ever say seeds only so why wouldn't you just use the whole lot.  Maybe I've been doing it all wrong.  I have seen recipes that call for the seeds only and I recently purchased some Green Cardamom Seeds but I also have the whole pods.  Black Cardamom I use whole as well.

I don't see much difference in using them whole and grinding up tree bark or whole star anise.  The pod casing would be mainly cellulose.  Perhaps someone can enlighten us here.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 10:05 AM »
Nothing wrong with eating the cooked or ground husks. They make for delicious flavour-bombs in pilau rice (or anything else, for that matter)! :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 11:14 AM »
Nothing wrong with eating the cooked or ground husks. They make for delicious flavour-bombs in pilau rice !
Absolutely.  I still recall the thrill I felt when I first bit into one, maybe 50 years ago; I thought I had died and gone to Heaven !
** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 12:47 PM »
Cardamom is probably my favourite spice. The smell of it is wonderful. I'm not that keen on biting into one, though - it has happened on a few occasions.

Getting back on topic, I'd be interested to know if Hari or Rob have had a look at the H4ppy Naan recipe/method. I watched Hari's video on naans (with yeast and yogurt; bottom side cooked on tawa, then placed under the grill), and while they looked nice, they didn't come close to Chris's.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2015, 01:32 PM »
Getting back on topic, I'd be interested to know if Hari or Rob have had a look at the H4ppy Naan recipe/method.
May be worth adding a link, Garp.  As newcomers to the Forum, Hari & Rob may have no idea who H4ppy Chris is or where his naan recipe is to be found ...
** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2015, 01:49 PM »
As always, you are correct Phil. I sent last post from my phone but haven't worked out how to do links from it :)

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,12589.0.html

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2015, 06:40 PM »
I came across this forum and thought what a perfect environment to get feedback on the Hari Ghotra proposition. Hari...also has her own site www.harighotra.co.uk.

I just checked out Hari's website and must say how impressed I am. The style and presentation is very good indeed and many of the dishes are on my wish list of Indian recipes. All that remains is to find out what Hari's recipes actually taste like. They look like they have lots of potential, so once I've acquired some key ingredients like mustard oil, I'll try two or three recipes and take it from there.

As for mustard oil, is it the 100% mustard oil marked "not for internal consumption", or the stuff heavily diluted with another oil but deemed safe for internal consumption?

Offline Nick D

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2015, 09:21 PM »
Hi George,

For the last couple of years I have been using this mustard oil which is healthy and virtually erucic acid free. http://www.uncleroys.co.uk/mustard-seed-oils/spicy-mustard-oil.html
It tastes just as good  if not better than the "not for internal consumption " versions I have tried.

Nick.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2015, 11:23 PM »
Nick - many thanks for the link to the spicy mustard oil but, unless it's available in any local shops, it looks very expensive for what it is, like

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2015, 02:28 PM »
As for mustard oil, is it the 100% mustard oil marked "not for internal consumption", or the stuff heavily diluted with another oil but deemed safe for internal consumption?

Just out of interest, George, I was in Tesco today and they have mustard oil on sale (but like you say, it is about 50% mustard oil and 50% rapeseed oil).

It would be interesting to know what Hari uses.

©2024 Curry Recipes