Author Topic: Anyone heard about Hari Ghotra?  (Read 20483 times)

Offline harighotra

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone heard about Hari Ghotra?
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2015, 04:24 PM »
Hi I have done a fair amount of research into mustard oil and the reasons for the 'not for internal consumption' on the bottle and I haven't found any conclusive reason for why this is the case apart from import laws.
I have been using mustard oil for years (not to mention most of the people in north India) not just for cooking but also for massaging and it's great for dry skin and hair as well. I tend to use 100% stuff for cooking and traditionally you take your oil to smoking point then let it cool before cooking. If using it as a massage oil you can dilute it down with coconut or veg oil as it has really warming properties.
Here is a link
http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Food-KTC-Mustard-Seed-Oil.html?kw=&fl=1000&ci=49895034968&network=pla&gclid=CO3I4smjgsMCFQjLtAodzBAASg
and here is a link to some of its benefits
http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/benefits-of-mustard-oil-for-skin-hair-and-health/
Cheers
Hari

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2015, 05:34 PM »
Good info, Hari, thanks.

Go for it, George - it might give you a nice curry and lovely shiny hair as well :)

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2015, 06:21 PM »
Maybe a nice shiny nose too!

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2015, 12:06 AM »
Go for it, George

By chance, I followed your advice within about 5 minutes of your post, as luck had it, not that I was anywhere near a browser, down Brick Lane. I bought KTC brand Pure 100% Mustard Oil, bottled in the UK by KTC (Edibles) Ltd. Even the name of the producer gave me confidence this really is being sold for use in cooking, But, presumably due to daft EU law it also says: FOR EXTERNAL USE ONLY.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2015, 07:19 PM »
Have you had a chance to try the mustard oil yet, George?

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2015, 09:42 PM »
Garp - no, not yet. I've got some other stuff pre-cooked to use up first, notably the chilli-con-carne I reported on quite favourably some time back, based on fish's recipe. But I wasn't as taken by it this time. I used/wasted a good slug of red wine and the end result was no better than my previous recipe, which doesn't require any relatively expensive ingredients like wine.

©2024 Curry Recipes