Author Topic: Anyone familiar with The Spice Chef?  (Read 7188 times)

Offline spiceguy15

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Anyone familiar with The Spice Chef?
« on: January 19, 2015, 03:05 AM »
I ordered a spice kit from a company called The Spice Chef for ?1.99 and ?1.99 postage and they basically blend the spices for the specific curry that you want, but they do it to order. Came through the post as a box and it smelt amazing before even opening it. I ordered one for Madras but they do loads. You get a recipe, shopping list and enough spices for to make six portions. Mine included whole spices in one bag and blended in another. Really clever idea and your still effectively cooking from scratch. Best Curry I have made in ages and that goes for value for money as well because buying all those spices from the supermarket would have been costly. Definitely recommend them this is the site www.thespicechef.co.uk    :D

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone familiar with The Spice Chef?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 10:17 AM »
In general it is best to build up a reputation as a regular and reliable contributor before seeking to promote a product.  With a grand total of one posts to your name, I am afraid that the cognoscenti here are hardly likely to flock to your promoted site in droves ...

** Phil.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 10:26 AM »
If people came on promoting curry related items and were totally up front about it, I wouldn't mind one bit and they'ed probably get a more positive response. Its the happy punter first posts that straight away put me off.

Offline Mattie

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 12:58 PM »
Do you receive the recipe with the spice mix? Would you not want to know what other ingredients you need to buy beforehand? Anyway ?4 just for a spice mix is steep.

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 02:34 PM »
They need to charge that much to pay for the forum spammer marketing droids.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 07:06 PM »
Nothing new - Pat Chapman's Curry Club did this in the 1980s.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 08:44 PM »

Offline spiceguy15

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 08:54 PM »
Wow a pretty hostile welcome to what I thought was a friendly forum. I don't have any connection with The Spice Chef, I have just recently got into making curry from scratch and I came across them by total chance as I did this forum. Since I am just beginning to learn about Indian cuisine I decided to join this forum and mention that I had tried them.

Nothing new - Pat Chapman's Curry Club did this in the 1980s.
I believe loads of places do curry blends in the same way the Spice Chef do them but they are made to order, not picked out of a stock room which I just thought was a much fresher way of doing it.

Do you receive the recipe with the spice mix? Would you not want to know what other ingredients you need to buy beforehand? Anyway ?4 just for a spice mix is steep.
Yes you get a recipe and shopping list. The shopping list is things like meat, tomatoes, onion, all expected stuff. ?4.00 including postage isn't bad considering how much all the spices are from scratch to buy from supermarkets, especially if like me you may never use them again.

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 09:05 PM »
Gooday sport, Your very quick to learn to navigate and use the forum, maybe you have been here before in a previous life  8)

Offline spiceguy15

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 09:09 PM »
Gooday sport, Your very quick to learn to navigate and use the forum, maybe you have been here before in a previous life  8)
No I'm new to this one but it is a pretty run of the mill straight forward forum and I am on a few of them for different things so not too difficult to figure out. Considering closing my account two days after opening it though to be honest. Few too many high horses in response to my completely friendly and normal first post.

©2024 Curry Recipes