Author Topic: Kormas and tikka masalas are under-represented here  (Read 8057 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kormas and tikka masalas are under-represented here
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 12:12 AM »
George is correct in some ways to point out what I might suggest is a kind of 'snobbery' about milder curries. But as Gav points out, he isn't cooking for the great British public at large - so let's all curry on.

Yes, that's what I mean - sarcastic remarks verging on snobbery. I fear it might put a lot of people off, if they read such comments before getting as far as trying the recipes. The Undercover book was far worse - alienating and irritating a huge potential market.

Incidentally, I haven't ordered a korma or CTM in a BIR for many years.

Gav's comment about NOT cooking for the Great British public may be true for him as an individual, of course, but it's bad news if it's the impression given by the forum as a whole.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 10:13 AM »
I see it as being more about demographics.

If this was a music forum it would be like saying that kanye west and ollie murs are two of the most popular artistes today which is possibly true...... but would any serious music lover want to spend more time discussing their musical merits?  :o

I think not  :o:-\ :-\

Need I say much more?

Perhaps we need to attract more women to join the forum?? :-X

Think I going to shut up now before I really put my foot in it lol  ;D

Mick

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 10:42 AM »

If this was a music forum it would be like saying that kanye west and ollie murs are two of the most popular artistes today which is possibly true...... but would any serious music lover want to spend more time discussing their musical merits?  :o

I think not  :o:-\ :-\

Succinctly put.  :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 03:39 PM »
I see it as being more about demographics.

I agree with you about demographics which is why I suggest that snobbish comments should be avoided, with chicken korma and chicken tikka masala being promoted far more.

How can you say that nobody should want to discuss the music of two leading artists? It's like you probably think that nobody who is 'seriously' interested in BIR food, would want to discuss/make either of the two most popular dishes, by far.

Next, you introduce the other commonly used slur - that kormas are only for women. What nonsense. I used to like BIR kormas, presumably because I have a sweet tooth. I avoid them now, because BIR food quality has gone way down hill since the 1980s.

The comment about women is also irrational because the demographics are that men and women are both about 50% of the population. So, if you comments were correct we'd presumably see containers of chicken vindaloo or similar, piled as high as chicken korma. But we don't, so you must be wrong.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 03:56 PM »
We've got LouP, who is one of the most ardent chilli lovers on here, and, as far as I am aware, is female  :)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 04:45 PM »
Hi George

Calm down

I did not say that nobody should want to discuss the music of two leading artists, I said that serious music lovers would not want to spend more time discussing their musical merits.

I have not said that Kormas are for girls either. I was merely implying that they are more popular with women. If 50% of the forum members were women then I would guess that there would be more interest shown in the curries you favour - thats all

Regards

Mick

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 04:51 PM »
I would say korma is more of a desert  ;)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 05:39 PM »
Like the Sahara, Michael  :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 05:59 PM »
No, more like the (Aloo) Gobi ...

Offline adamchiv

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 06:39 PM »
I agree with you that there should be no shame in posting about korma and masala. I love curries that are too hot for most people, but i also love the BIR korma and tandoori masala dishes equally and to be honest the secrets behind them are very very hard to find. Supermarket masala sauce is always missing something, in fact, I find that to get the real deal you have to go to the restaurant and eat in. I found a superb BIR masala sauce recipe on here that is as close as ive ever got to the secret. So im glad that korma and masala is on here and if anyone has got a BIR version please please dont be afraid to post it.

©2024 Curry Recipes