Author Topic: Kormas and tikka masalas are under-represented here  (Read 8105 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Kormas and tikka masalas are under-represented here
« on: February 09, 2015, 01:03 PM »
Discuss! It might be said we are a small minority group of near-fanatics, almost completely out of touch with what the Great British public really want.

Yet another thread was started recently, with fine images of a very tasty looking korma, but it came with a sort of apology in advance, as if it's bordering on unacceptable. Why?

Facts - chicken korma and chicken tikka masala are, I believe, far and away the most popular dishes in terms of Indian food in the UK. That's definitely the case in terms of what supermarkets display (and they could know), and probably in terms of the dishes served by Indian restaurants and take-aways.

Some/many people here seem uneasy about that. Why? We should be shouting from the roof tops that this is the best place to come for superb recipes to recreate those dishes at home. Whereas, the impression is created that it's not really the done thing to mention them too often.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Kormas and tikka masalas are under-represented here
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 01:23 PM »
A silly post if you ask me George. For starters I'm not cooking for the Great British public, I'm cooking for myself and I prefer hotter more savoury dishes. My son sometimes has a Korma and I'll have a couple of dips with my naan for which I enjoy. Anymore and I find its too sweet. I quite happily point people towards this site if they express an interest in curry but I would think that most people would'nt go to the faff of making base etc to basically cook 2 curries when they find that the ones from Morrisons etc usually suit them down to the ground.  :-\

And I don't think they are under represented on here as there are plenty examples of them in past postings.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 02:59 PM »
Yet another thread was started recently, with fine images of a very tasty looking korma, but it came with a sort of apology in advance, as if it's bordering on unacceptable. Why?

Entirely down to personal preference I would surmise George. There's no disputing its popularity but its cloying sweetness and lack of any discernable chilli heat makes it the dish of choice for children and the unadventurous.

It just so happened to be the very first curry I ever tasted and it would, had there not been a few other curries to sample, have been the very last (BIR) curry I ever tasted. For me, and with no intent to offend the korma fans, the korma is an exemplar of all that is bad about the BIR curry scene. It's a nauseating pile of baby crap!

That said, it is a BIR curry (but definitely not a true korma) and as such has a rightful place on this or any other BIR forum.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 04:43 PM »
I enjoy all kinds of curries from mild to moderately hot, avoiding the most incendiary heat that members like CH seem to take in their stride. I get what others are saying about the levels sweetness, it can be too much at time but each to their own I guess

As well as CTM and Korma we might also include the Chasni and Butter Chicken which have a similar heat profile and which are both definitely BIR. There's recipes for all of these curries on the forum.

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 05:35 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 06:02 PM »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 07:13 PM »
Phall is the hottest curry known to man (contrastingly, the hottest curry known to woman is korma)

Hahahahahaha!  ;D

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 07:38 PM »
I'm not a huge Korma fan but can thoroughly enjoy one every few months. That sweet, creamy, sumptuous sauce has it's place in this forum, and, as has been stated, in BIR popularity.

George is correct in some ways to point out what I might suggest is a kind of 'snobbery' about milder curries. But as Gav points out, he isn't cooking for the great British public at large - so let's all curry on. SL quotes Chasni and Butter Chicken (one of my favourites) to the mild list and I would add Pathia.

I don't think there is a major problem with under-representation here, George. I posted a Korma pic which received nice comments from people who don't like Korma - just as I have posted nice comments about red-hot curries which other members have made which I wouldn't even attempt to eat. You can appreciate the effort that went into the dish without wanting to eat it.

I'm a medium hot kind of person, but love looking at pics of super-naga-viper-nuclear-extra hot-and then some curries.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 09:04 PM »
I like Korma. I also like risotto, spaghetti bolognese, steak, pan-fried duck and loads of other non-spicy food. Nothing unusual about that - most folk are the same.

I also like hot, spicy and piquant food. Nothing unusual about that either. Loads of people are the same.

But to suggest that Korma and Tikka Masala are under-represented on this forum is just plain daft.

The photos, recipes and other stuff posted on this forum are entirely representative of members' interests.

What's posted here the most is what people are interested in the most.

©2024 Curry Recipes