Author Topic: My chicken vindaloo journey ????  (Read 18955 times)

littlechilie

Re: My chicken vindaloo journey ????
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 10:37 PM »
CH, I would love to know the depth of flavour your trying for, do you have any idea of list of ingredients and order of cooking yet?
I just got around to making a vindaloo this evening, one thing I have learned to implement is the order that ingredient is added and at what point, I cant express the difference it makes to a curry.
Fresh ingredient , heat and cooking time are key points as you know, also I learnt when and when not to add chilli powder is such an important part of the dish.

Tonight's vindaloo is deep in flavour , moorish and I just wanted to mop up the sauce!
The addition of fresh green chillies under the sauce gave the dish heat level way above the usual vindaloo. IMO  :)

But I would love to have a go at cooking your dish, if you want to fill me in on foundations of the dish.
Cheers.

}

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 01:42 AM »

Might give Chewy's CTM a go too as haven't made a decent one......ever :)

Do you think a decent CTM could be done without coconut in it? Re: an allergy. I wouldn't have thought so, but

yes it can, substitute the recipe volume with a mixture of milk cream and almond powder instead, I do it when I run out of coconut milk, hardly notice the difference.

regards

Paul

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 10:33 AM »
Thanks very much Paul, will give that a whirl. Cheers.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 11:13 AM »
Great looking curry there LC.  You seem to be further down the road on the journey than me!!!!  Struggling to get out of the TA mode yet  ???.

Probably the hardest thing to do is describe the flavours of a dish that has few ingredients and yet varies so much from restaurant to restaurant.  Where have i heard that before?  Sounds just like the  madras problem ::).

Curry ingredients are:  fresh veg oil, garlic paste, tomato paste seemingly undiluted, mixed powder, chilli powder, gravy, pre-cooked chicken, pre-cooked potato, fresh chillis, lemon juice and coriander to finish
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:27 AM by curryhell »

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 11:34 AM »
Looking forward to your further thoughts on this subject, Dave. You've set yourself a much more cerebral task in re-creating all aspects of your ideal curry than just simply trying to replicate the ingredients.

I'll tell you this though - I could fair murder that trayful of grub right now. My mouth's watering! :)

littlechilie

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2015, 12:59 PM »
Great update and that is a cracking spread 8)the pre-cooked chicken is looking the business. In fact after seeing this I'm pre-cooking chicken right now, tonight I will be cooking vindaloo and mushroom fried rice for myself.
Looking at my last photo and your vindaloo above they do seem to appear very alike, and oil content looks consistent to me.

I will be aiming for a light tasting vindaloo so will be going easy on mix powder and trying to bring the flavours you describe in to play.
Still retaining that burning heat that reaches ones ears :D

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2015, 03:04 PM »
Look forward to your update LC.  It's mince and tatties for me this evening.  I suppose i'd better decide on the quantities for the first vindaloo trial.  Damn, that means i'm gonna have to measure everything going forward and make notes after each attempt. Normally I just wing it  ::).  Where's Jerry M when you need him  ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 07:57 PM »
Curryhell,

Looking forward to this journey. I've parked it having too many interests and not enough time.

These being my current thoughts or to do list.

1) there is more chilli powder than I think. The use of 1 tbsp of Kashmiri in madras has made me think this
2) saw another member cook and stuck out in my mind that the chilli powder might have been cooked more ie almost cooked out before adding mix
3) my IFFU mix don't cut it on madras and vindaloo. A mix say haldi is needed. I guess contains paprika.

Things that ive tried and adopted:
4) scotch bonnet blended in chopped tom produces lip burn
5) green finger chilli as a paste adds that depth

All fingers crossed for us all.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 11:47 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts Jerry.  My waters are currently muded without introducing further variables at this stage.  But the green chilli paste has now been placed on the radar for possible inclusion once some progress has been made.

You've set yourself a much more cerebral task in re-creating all aspects of your ideal curry than just simply trying to replicate the ingredients.

Keith, i am now beginning to realise the madras lovers frustration in creating their favourite dish of so few ingredients.
Have made dishes over the last two days and am still just off the starting grid.  Already i am drawing one  or two stark conclusions, possibly prematurely let's hope.
I have a few more attempts to make yet, given the permutations of quantities and order.  I'll post the accounts of the last two days a little later.  Let's just say whilst the dishes are reasonable, i'm nowhere close to  my goal  >:(

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 03:47 PM »
Looking forward to your preliminary results, Dave. Mighty oaks from little acorns grow and all that, y'know! :)

©2024 Curry Recipes