Author Topic: Scot,educated in Midlands,looking to improve knowledge of BIR particularly bases  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Hi,
  Have read books,very instructive,am cooking for threes and fives at home,so base sauce ideas would be good,plus recommendations for new blender.Cheers

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Welcome to the forum Geoff.

There are lots of base recipes on here - take your pick and let us know how you get on :)

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Welcome Geoff, where in the UK or what restaurants/ta's / dishes are you trying to recreate at home?

Regards
ELW

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Hi ELW,
Thanks for the welcome,I,m based in Stourbridge West Mids,smack bang in middle curry/Balti belt,plenty to choose from.
Dishes weve been enjoying recently Chicken Rogan Josh plus a combination dish Balti Chicken Tikka masala and chicken Kurma with naans and poppadoms  ,from the Dilshad group.I would definitely be the hero if I could reproduce them.Have always cooked my curries the standard English way,ie with no base,just onions,chillies,peppers,sultanas,plus meat required and water,no oil.Must admit nobody has grumbled about them,politeness?

Suggestions? Thanks, Geoff

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
I suspect a combination of politeness and a lack of familiarity with BIR (="British Indian Restaurant") cuisine.  Oil is a /sine qua non/ of true BIR, and sultanas (other than in specifically fruity curries) does tend to betray English roots.  A very simple introduction to BIR-style cuisine can be found in Kris Dhillon's /The Curry Secret/ (not /The NEW Curry Secret, but the first edition) which can now be found very cheaply via a quick web search, otherwise there are any number of bases and main dishes here, some of which (unlike Kris Dhillon's approach) do tend to require more advance BIR skills.  Good luck with your quest !

** Phil.

Offline ziggycat

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
if you are just starting out on your BIR journey then I can recommend you check out chewytikka's pressure cooker base as an easy starting point.

as for a blender recommend, I have a bamix stick blender and a magixmix le blender and they are both excellent for making a smooth base

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Scot, educated in Midlands, looking to improve knowledge of BIR ...
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 06:36 PM »
Good value goblet blender here :  https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-19-feb/product-detail/ps/p/food-processor-1/?pk_campaign=uk_product_newsletter&pk_kwd=2015-02-16_14-29; keep your receipt safe and it will be guaranteed for three years ...

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 06:54 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Geoff,

Know Stourbridge and dilshad well. Been in north west long time but get back now and then.

You will be able to make yourself no prob. Will take a few months and probably disasters but worth in end.

Base is very personal. It does make a difference on the final curry. It's the method and characteristics for me that are more important than the ingredient. Chewytikka has a very good 3 hr base video which is the starting point. BE (Bruce Edwards) has a post that sets the basics.

My blender is Argos cheapie and works fine.

Best thing is search for specific questions or just ask members for help.

Very best wishes

©2024 Curry Recipes