Author Topic: Greetings From Turkey  (Read 3553 times)

Offline pinararoy77

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Greetings From Turkey
« on: February 14, 2015, 04:21 PM »
Merhaba or Hi Everyone
My name is Roy and we live in a village near Fethiye on the Mediterranean Coast.
Have been interested in Indian cooking for many years and in the last few years we are able to get most ingredients here in Turkey although in saying that we have yet to have a decent curry or Indian meal by eating out in Fethiye or Kalkan.
We love walking in the area to build up an appetite and here is our link if it is allowed.
https://picasaweb.google.com/109593092019329005045
It is my link and is not commercial and is open to everyone on the web and there is no copyright.
All the best for now
Roy and Caroline

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings From Turkey
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 04:41 PM »
Welcome! And thanks for the legal assurances!  ;)

Got a recipe for yaprak doner...?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 08:35 PM »
I guess you both expats from your names.

Only been turkey once but loved it. The visa thing puts the frighteners on me.

The blackened lamb is real fab and something I posted on but gave up - i think it needs fire for the real McCoy.

You're in the right place for curry. Site seems a bit big to start with but  3 months and you will be making huge progress. Plenty members will help

Very best wishes

Jerry

Offline pinararoy77

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 04:40 PM »
Hi Jerry
Both expats and have been here 9 years and hopefully will stay.
The site is fantastic but so much information its taking me some time to take it it all in but here we say
Yavaş Yavaş or slowly slowly.Everything is to be savored.All the best for now from a very rainy Turkey.
Roy and Caroline

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 05:49 PM »
Hi Pinararoy

I am new here too and just trying to find my feet...  I have been cooking mostly dry Tandoori food which I have a couple of years experience with and some great results but now I wish to cook wet dishes hence I joined this website.  I have found it a good help in both new knowledge and in confirming many thoughts & ideas I had swimming around my head!. I wish you all the best and I'm sure you'll get all the help etc you'll need to achieve the results you hope for. 
Now I need to change the line of thought for a moment and ask If you have discovered a good reliable recipe for the marinade required for "Chicken Donna" ?  In the UK the Kebab shops sell the most amazing Chicken Donnas and I'm trying to replicated it.  I'm using my Tandoor which has its issues with this  cooking style ie. The whole Donna gets cooked at the same time etc which I don't mind because I only cook this for 10 or so people at a time so it goes in one sitting. Another one is the amount of juices coming out of the meat can put the coals out or kill your Lava rocks so thought etc is needed there.  But it's the recipe for the marinade that I'm really after?  Any help would be appreciated.  Out of interest I can buy a 5 kilo Chicken or Lamb Donna from JJ Foods in St. Paul's Cray for ?20.00 but want to make my own.....   

Mr. Punter

Offline pinararoy77

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 04:32 PM »
Hi Mr Punter
Sorry for the delay.
The next time I am in town I will ask around and see what we come up.
I am sure I can obtain the recipes as I am certain that they may be different.
Unfortunately we do not have these things in the village yet but we are trying to catch up
Roy and Caroline

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 06:45 PM »
hi mr punter I asked it my local kebab shop what they marinate their kebab chicken in as I wanted to do chicken kebabs for my 2 daughters which they absolutely loved. unfortunately they don't do chicken donner but do a lovely donner meat with chips and a lovely hot chilli sauce which they make, not the vinegary bottled stuff. anyway here is the recipe I used but I didn't ask for quantities but the ingredients are....
tomato salsa ( I used Mexican (discovery brand) medium salsa but it did have jalapeno peppers in so that replaced the green chillies anyway)
garlic
lemon juice
olive oil
a pinch of chilli powder ( as I didn't have green chillies not the hot ones)

I hope this helps mate.
oh and a coincidence my nan and granddad lived in st pauls cray and my other nan and granddad live the other side of the railway bridge in st marys cray. I used to love the chippy in cotmendean crescent not a big fish person but battered cod roe and chips mmmm! :-)
regards
gary

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 07:01 AM »
The next time I am in town I will ask around and see what we come up.
I am sure I can obtain the recipes as I am certain that they may be different.

Hi Roy & Caroline.

I look forward to that. 

Many thanks.
Mr. Punter.

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 07:33 AM »
Hi Gary.    Cheers for that.   I'll definitely try it out.
Yeah what a coincidence, I don't know the shop you mentioned but I can imagine the sort.
On this subject, last week in popped into a Kebab shop for a TA in Selsdon High Street, it's probably similar to the one in St. Mary's Cray being "old school".  Anyhow, I got chatting to the old guys son and asked for his recipe for their chilli sauce (which is excellent!) and he happily gave it me so I'll share it:

Old School Kebab shop CHILLI SAUCE

Onions
Green Chillies (hot)
Little Oil
Salt
Tomato Pur

©2024 Curry Recipes