Author Topic: Thai Chicken Satay...  (Read 8751 times)

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Thai Chicken Satay...
« on: February 16, 2015, 07:40 AM »
For many years I've wanted to recreate that yellow chicken satay we all know from Thailand while walking thru the streets and villages. Every time I visit Asia I promise myself I will make and perfect this for friends & family back home.  Today is the day I start that. journey and I appreciate any contributions from those who've travelled the same road in search of the authentic Thai chicken satay.  From my experience of cooking the Indian version: Chicken Tikka, I take forward 3 important points: (1) The Marinade. (2) The infusion of the vapour from the juices being zapped by hitting something very hot.  (3) The very hot & dry temperature produced by the Tandoor.  BUT the Thai's use a Char Grill BBQ so I'll take  out number (3) and concentrate on (1) & (2).  The Marinade. My shopping list consists of the following:  Mae Ploy Thai Yellow Paste.  Fresh lemon grass.  G.G. Paste.  Fish Sauce.  Turmeric & yellow colouring.  Coconut milk.  Condensed milk.  Lemon and blend together then marinate the chicken over night. Any contributions PLS bring em on...  I will post results tomorrow. 

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Thai Chicken Satay...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 08:12 AM »
Not tried it but a quick search got this one

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/thai-chicken-satay/

which gets well rated with a 43 reviews. Personally I think they would come out nice done in the Tandoor.

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 08:35 AM »
Thanks for that.   Yeah I agree...  I think I'll take half the marinated chicken and cook it in the Tandoor and the other half grill on an Indian Charcoal BBQ/Griller I picked up in Tooting a few years ago.  It's similar to the Thai version so should give same result.  I'll use exactly the same marinade for both.  I guess, even if my marinade turns out not so good, I should still be able to make a judgement on the end result.  My money is on the Tandoor but I'll do my best not to be bias!!!

Mr. Punter

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 03:33 PM »
Two recipes
1 David Thompson
Coconut cream, turmeric, condensed milk, palm sugar, fish sauce
Paste   chopped red shallots ,ground roasted peanuts, roasted coriander and cumin seeds
Add the two together
2 Andy Ricker
coriander and cumin seeds , lemon grass , galangal, fresh turmeric, sugar, condensed milk, white pepper and unsweetened coconut milk , salt
I'll give quantities if you feel they look interesting :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:27 PM by michael.t »

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 05:16 PM »
Thanks Michael.  They sound good and on the lines I'm trying...  These two both have Cumin & Coriander which I've missed out but I'm thinking they are important.  I will ask for the full monty on these two but not right now because I've just finished putting my made-up one together and just type it up for my reference.  I couldn't cope with another two at them moment.  I will post it when I can work out how, shortly I hope.  Thanks again, I'll be in touch once I've got a  cooked, finished result from today.   Cheers. 

Mr. Punter

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 05:17 PM »

Yellow Thai Satay Marinade - 1st attempt 16/02/2015

1KG Chicken baby fillets (for best results)
200ml thin Coconut milk
300ml Condensed milk
4+ tbsp Yellow Thai curry paste (I used Mae Ploy this time) (add your amount to personal liking)
6+ Yellow Scotch Bonnets severely pounded (if you like it hot, again to your liking)
4 or 5 good splashes of Fish sauce (I used Squid brand)
Oil. As much as you see fit. This time I used 70% Peanut Oil & 30% Chilli infused oil.
1/2 tsp Yellow food colouring (KTC)
1 Heaped Tsp Garlic Ginger
Little Lemon juice.

Put the Thai paste into bowl and thin with some oil.  Add Fish sauce and mix.  Add 1/3 of the Coconut milk at a time till finished.  Do the same with the Condensed milk.  Add the Scotch Bonnets if using.  Add the Yellow KTC.  Add a little Lemon juice.  Whisk well and taste. You want it to taste pretty good at this stage as you would do with any marinade.  I always find that if it don't taste good now, then I won't at the end either!  If it don't, think about sugar or salt.  I think it should taste sweet and salty.  The Chicken will sort the salty problem out.  When it's right, Tarka the Garlic Ginger, (or just Ginger, your choice) add and mix well.   Now taste, should be good.  Now add the Chicken.  I'm leaving mine to marinate in fridge till tomorrow night (24 hrs).  PS. I never add much lemon juice to my marinades because I manage to cook the Chicken during marination! Also, it's hard to buy Chicken in UK that needs tenderising, just seems to require a little "zing" at the end.

Mr. Punter

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 05:38 PM »
because I've just finished putting my made-up one ...

I had to read this three times before I realised that it didn't say "because I've just finished putting my make-up on ..." !

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 05:47 PM »
Lol...  I never came top of class at English... Now I know shy.   Lol.  .

Mr. Punter

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 05:50 PM »
Michael.   FYI.  I've just to half the marinade : Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric, Fenugreek leaves & a pinch of ground Cardamon..... It'll be either good or bad! Lol.   

Mr. Punter

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 01:37 PM »
Phil

I was just looking for the like button - dam not on FB

best, Rich

©2024 Curry Recipes