Author Topic: Thai Chicken Satay...  (Read 8749 times)

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Thai Chicken Satay...
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 01:40 PM »
P.s. the Thais use a gas BBQ griller mostly these days - i will get a pic of one in a couple of days

best, Rich

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 07:34 PM »
Thai's using gas grillers...  Oh well, all good things come to an end at some point..   I've not been back for a few years now but when I was there... Wow... That Satay was well good.   I'd like to see a picture of their gas version..
Today I cooked my two Chicken Satays from the two marinades I made up with help from Michael but could be bothered in the end to cook in both Tandoor and BBQ so kelt it simple and stuck them both in the Tandoor.   Result was good. Both tasted very Thai with a strong flavour Indian Tandoor!  I suppose I should be surprised but I was.  I plated both up together on a sizzler...   Follows a couple of pics...   I'd def do again.

Mr. Punter

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 04:21 PM »
Michael T - all went good this end but now would love to cook your suggestion.  If you get a chance to whack over the recipe for the two you mentioned ie:
David Thompson & Andy Ricker I'd be grateful....  Presuming you have time between building that monster party house in your garden!  It looks like it's gonna be fantastic... Good on ya mate... I'm well jel....   

Mr. Punter

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 05:53 PM »
Thompson
1/2 cup coconut cream
1tsp turmeric pwd
1 tbs condensed milk
1 tbs palm sugar
Pinch white sugar
2 tbs fish sauce               optional a little thai whisky    Mekong or santip or bourbon

paste
4 tbs red shallots chopped
pinch of salt
3 tbs ground roasted peanuts
1 tbs coriander seeds roasted
1 tsp cumin seeds roasted

ground the paste then add the rest then marinade meat

Ricker

1 and 1/2 tsp coriander seeds roasted
very small pinch cumin seeds roasted
salt
14g thinly sliced lemon grass
14g  thinly sliced galangal
14g fresh turmeric sliced thinly
2tbs granulated sugar
6 tbs condensed milk
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 cup coconut milk
Blend then marinade
Serve with peanut sauce

Offline ELW

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 07:02 PM »
Hi Stuartnewport, you might find everything you need here.

Recipes from Muoi Khuntilanont's Kitchen & her husband Ian Philpott

http://www.chetbacon.com/thai-html/thai.html

http://www.abarnhart.com/faq/Colonel.htm#Sataykai

Lots of great Thai restaurant & street food recipes, with all the pastes, sauces & dips covered.

Might be a good idea to copy the lot in case it's not around forever

Regards

ELW

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 09:49 PM »
Great stuff, Mr Whisty.  All now safely wgot -r for posterity ...
** Phil.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 04:56 PM »
Thought you would have got that satay recipe sussed by now Stuartnewport. Im sure I have seen those pics on the Puri website donkeys years ago. Always wondered what that yellow stuff was on the skewers.
Im off to Thailand in the next couple of weeks and look forward to checking the chicken satay out. I have also been using Admins reicpe for red curry paste with excellent results - especially since I discovered Thai Basil in Waitrose the other day. Bloody Lovely!

Regards

Mick

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 05:18 PM »
Very astute Mr. Mickdabass.... The truth is I wasn't very happy with the flavour back then except one time when it was amazing, although the pictures couldn't share that! I tried and tried again, got very pi...ed off with myself for not making a note of the "one time perfect Satay" then promptly GAVEUP until I found this site which inspired me to try again, and I'm glad I did...   I think I got I right on the first attempt.  As they say:  if at first you don't succeed, try, try again (but have a long break in between to clear the head! Lol). 
Re: going to Thailand... Well jel mate.  Where abouts you going?  Have you seen the new chef on here from the  "curry shack"
I hope you find a local to extract the recipe for the Yellow Thai Satay marinade !  I'm so serious about it that if sweet talking, blackmail or thumb screws don't work then I'm prepared to go 50/50 with you on backhander!!!   

Mr. Punter

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 05:40 PM »
Thanks for these two recipes Mick.  I will cook them when the weather sorts itself out.  I'm still suffering from last Sunday's cook up when I nearly froze to death in the garden.   They are filed safely filed away an in hard copy.   Many thanks.
PS.  There's plenty of wifi in Thailand so look forward to many reports back,

Mr. Punter

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 05:45 PM »
Mr. ELW.    What an amazing find!!!   
Those two links are just "gold".   I haven't checked out many yet, just the obvious ones ie. Pad Thai and they are just what I hoped they'd be so I'm sure the others will be on par...  I'll be putting on the pounds during this summers cooking in the garden.... Cheers a lot. 

Mr. Punter

©2024 Curry Recipes