Author Topic: Using my pre cooked lentils in a curry  (Read 6846 times)

Offline LouP

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Using my pre cooked lentils in a curry
« on: February 21, 2015, 01:22 PM »
Hi Guys,
Any recipe ideas for using my dhal would be good. I was going to do Sober rats Dhansak but I have no pineapple juice, lime or shakkar.
Could I substitute with anything or should I just return the dhal to the freezer for another day?

Cheers, Lou :)

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Using my pre cooked lentils in a curry
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 01:32 PM »
Hi LouP, you could use lemon juice instead of lime. The Shakkar is an unrefined sugar so I think a light brown sugar would do. As for the pineapple juice, I used stuff that was made from concentrate (longlife), not freshly squeezed. It would probably still be quite nice even without the pineapple juice, but I think the others are a bit more important. I only use lime because it just seems slightly more perfumed in smell and flavour. Thanks for trying the recipe and I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know how you get on.     

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 03:51 PM »
I was going to do Sober rats Dhansak but I have no pineapple juice, lime or shakkar.
Could I substitute with anything or should I just return the dhal to the freezer for another day?

Not to denigrate SoberRat's version, which I think will be a fine version judging from the ingredients and picture, I still think you can't beat the simple white sugar and lemon juice combo - and I've tried many.

Having cut my teeth on London Dhansaks (not literally) where I'd never seen pineapple used I was mightily offended to find them in the dish when I moved further up North. Now I can take Dhansak either way and enjoy it so I don't think the pineapple juice (or pineapple pieces) are a necessity either.

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 03:56 PM »
I guess you could use just a little more white sugar. The only reason I decided to add the pineapple was the fact that some recipes have pineapple in. I have never had a Dhansak with it in either and if I hadn't seen it on this site I think I would have been shocked to find it in my curry, but it does seem to be a northern variation. 

Offline LouP

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 04:47 PM »
Thanks Guys,
I have never had a Dhansak so will have nothing to compare it with. I wouldn't use pineapple chunks as I am not a fan of fruit (or nuts/raisins etc) in a curry.
We have decided to have a takeaway curry tonight but will make the Dhansak in the morning.
I live in staffordshire and the local takeaway menus say it has pineapple (bleugh) Love lentils though :)

Will let you know how it tastes tomorrow.
Thanks again  ;D

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 05:25 PM »
Enjoy your takeaway. Yes the lentils really add a nice flavour and texture to a curry IMO. Add to that the nice warming heat and...............oh dear, I think I'm off to the kitchen again.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 10:27 PM »
...............oh dear, I think I'm off to the kitchen again.
And that's exactly what this forum is all about.  Looking forward to updates on Dhansak or the results of your trip to the kitchen  :)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 10:36 PM »
...oh dear, I think I'm off to the kitchen again.

Brilliant! I know the feeling well! :)

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 05:07 PM »
I've only tried dhansak once from our local bir and that contained a pineapple ring!
Not really my type of curry.
I'm not a fan of fruit in curries either, and it was almost ctm sweet too. Uuughhh
Regards
Mick

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 05:26 PM »
it was almost ctm sweet too. Uuughhh

Yes, that's not right at all. It should be a fine balance of sweet and sour.

©2024 Curry Recipes