Author Topic: the truth sometimes hurts  (Read 8040 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
the truth sometimes hurts
« on: February 21, 2015, 06:21 PM »
i'm not sorry if i've caused alarm in geoff's post which got diverted to "empty vessels".

i have simply reported the truth - bigboaby1 if you read his posts was subjected to abuse. ive just pointed this out (and more importantly the loss to the site as a result that bigboaby1 has been forced into not replying in his posts)

the sooner we all start protecting members the better or better still stop aiming at 1 upmanship and just concentrate on the food.

has the world gone mad.

surely the bullies can't win in a fair and democratic society.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: the truth sometimes hurts
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 06:26 PM »
The sooner we all start protecting members the better or better still stop aiming at 1 upmanship and just concentrate on the food.  Surely the bullies can't win in a fair and democratic society.

Unfortunately they can, but only when that society is too frightened to stand up to them.  As to the first sentence quoted above, I could not agree more.

** Phil.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 07:05 PM »
i have simply reported the truth

Really? How do you know? And even if you have a hot line to the member you refer to, how could you still be sure? People come and go all the time for various reasons. That's the first point. Second, it's still most undiplomatic and, as I pointed out, against the rules, to insult a sub-set of members. Secret Santa suggested alternative wording which would have been much better and not likely to cause offence.

The fact that you've opened this thread suggests you still don't get it. Your comment that we should 'stick to the food' is completely unrealistic in any vibrant group of people. Such people would be dull, dull, dull, like certain other forums.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 11:13 PM by George »

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 08:08 PM »
Jerry is 100% right.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 08:39 PM »
i have simply reported the truth - bigboaby1 if you read his posts was subjected to abuse.

You're not wrong Jerry but I hope you'd be fair enough to admit that the way you phrased your opinion was in itself a tad provocative and could have been presented less provocatively had you given it some thought first. I agree with George in that respect at least.

This isn't particularly aimed at you Jerry as it happens often in this forum but do you remember Reeves and Mortimer? One of their catch phrases was "you just wouldn't let it lie" and that sums up many of the spats that occur on the forum. There'll be a perfectly innocent topic that'll be derailed by a comment that, had it been given some prior thought, may not have been posted at all or, if posted, may have been phrased in a manner so as to not engender further animosity.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:56 PM by Secret Santa »

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 11:51 PM »
There was no "spat". JerryM and mickdabass simply spoke the truth. The language isn't important. Some people chase others from the forum for reasons only they know. No-one would have bothered had the "Moderator" not waded in with hobnail boots. Sometimes, inaction is better than intervention. Unnecessary storms in a Balti bowl we can certainly live without.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 01:25 AM »
There was no "spat"...The language isn't important.

There was no spat until Jerry said "I think he has met with some of our empty vessel members". And the language, contrary to your assertion and exemplified by this example, is all important particularly so in this context.

The "spat" was indisputably initiated by Jerry's unfortunately worded, if essentially correct, statement - being the first reply in the thread as I recall.  And it was rightly picked up by George as being both inappropriate in general and against forum rules in specifics.

You can't have it both ways, one day bemoaning the laxity of the moderator for not clamping down on miscreants and another day, when it suits your purpose, denigrating his efforts at modration despite the fact that they are in full acordance with forum rules.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 07:43 AM »
#AyeRight

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 09:11 AM »
George, I do hope enforcing these rules are going to apply to everyone in the future, and not just JerryM  and mickdabass .
guess we will just have to wait and see. ;D

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 10:02 AM »
I can't believe empty vessels has caused all this
You have to laugh really

Well I do

You have hit the nail on the head there les

©2024 Curry Recipes