Author Topic: Chicken Dhansak  (Read 4745 times)

Offline LouP

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Chicken Dhansak
« on: February 22, 2015, 11:27 AM »
Hi,
I was going to make SoberRats Dhansak last night but had a takeaway instead so I have just whipped up this little beauty for later.
It's SoberRats recipe http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,13673.0.html but I had no pineapple or Shakker so I just left them out. Everything else was the same.

It is really tasty. Has a nice earthiness from the lentils and is a perfect winter curry. I wouldn't have with rice, just a garlic naan and salad. Great recipe SoberRat :)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Dhansak
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 11:29 AM »
Looks very nice indeed, Lou. I could dunk a big naan in that saucy Dhansak right now! :)

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 11:51 AM »
Yep same here, give me a nice garlic chilli naan to dunk, lovely looking curry Lou  :)

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 12:01 PM »
Looks really good in that dish. Thanks for trying the recipe. That description of the flavour the lentils add is what I wanted to say, just couldn't think of the word. I don't believe that I now want to make another one of these and go for a garlic naan instead of rice. This site really isn't doing my health any good I don't think. But you live only once! 

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 12:07 PM »
Just out of interests guys, what are your top tips for pre-cooking lentils. Nice one Lou, by the way :)

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 12:11 PM »
Just out of interests guys, what are your top tips for pre-cooking lentils. Nice one Lou, by the way :)

I did read somewhere that adding salt early on makes them go slightly tough. Not tried adding salt myself so I'm not sure. I like to cook them so that they are not too mushy, so they keep a bit of shape in the curry, although I do crush some to thicken things up a bit.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 12:13 PM »
I usually follow Blade's recipe, or some variation of it. If I'm lucky there's still some left to put in my dhansak after I've finished nibblig at it.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,320.msg2727.html#msg2727

The tarka at the end makes it for me.

Oops, missed the photo, that looks delicious, lovely consistancy.

Offline LouP

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 12:15 PM »
I used the Massur dhal recipe that Curryhell recommended. http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,7901.0.html

:)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 12:39 PM »
Colin Grigson's Massur Dhal for me too, Lou.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 12:40 PM »

I think if you're doing it the BIR way there isn't much to it as you just boil the lentils in water until done. You don't add spice because that'll come later depending on which dish you are making. Personally I always undercook them so that they get a final cook off in the curry but retain some texture such that you know you're actually eating lentils.

For me the red lentils don't have any earthiness and turn out quite bland. What type of lentils are people using?

In fact I'm going to knock out a batch of masur daal right now. All this talk's got my taste buds tingling.

©2024 Curry Recipes