Author Topic: Littlechilie Old School Madras Video.  (Read 38393 times)

Offline britishcurries

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Littlechilie Old School Madras Video.
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2022, 04:20 AM »
Can someone please post the video for this or at least write out the quantities and instructions? It looks a very promising recipe judging by the comments.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2022, 09:05 AM »
Uploaded.  Now at https://vimeo.com/675372868, but sadly not the version with voice-over — it does not look as though I archived that version.
--
** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 09:40 AM by Peripatetic Phil »

Offline britishcurries

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2022, 07:09 AM »
Thank you, Phil. The video is great, but were precise quantities never specified?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2022, 08:50 AM »
My viewing of the video indicates that Pugs was on the right track with ingredients.  This is what I'd be doing from watching the video alone.

2 TBSP Oil
1 hp tsp G&G paste
1 each of Star Anise, small Tej Pat and green cardy
For the spice powders I'd start at: (All up I'd say there is about 1.5 TBSP in the starting container)
2-3 tsp mixed powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp Kasoori Methi
1 tsp salt
There looks to be about 2-3 TBSP of diluted tomato puree (very light colour)
Base Gravy as required and a single serve portion of chicken tikka
There is clearly 1 tsp of concentrated tamarind extract added (very dark)
1 TBSP of Lemon Juice or whatever that stuff is.
1 small tomato halved
and the fresh coriander.

Try the first one and adjust the spices after that.  Only the spice mixed powder, chilli and salt to muck about with really.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2022, 09:36 AM »
I confess that I haven tried the recipe, but I am minded to do so in terms of the very favourable feedback that it received, but with one substitution :  pre-cooked chicken for chicken tikka.  There is nothing "old school" in using chicken tikka in curries — it's a nasty modern abomination, IMHO, totally destroying the intended texture — and especially not in a Madras.

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2022, 12:53 PM »
I have this on file
Old School Madras (LC)
Oil
1 Tsp Ginger/Garlic Paste
1 Star Anise
1 Green Cardamom Pod
1 Bay Leaf
1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
1 Tsp Mix Powder
1 Tsp Chilli Powder
1 Tsp Methi
Salt
1 Ladle Base
Another Ladle Base
Chicken Tikka Slices
1 Ladle Base May Be More
1 Tsp Tamarind Paste
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
Cover Pan For 30 Seconds.
Add Tomatoes
Cover Pan Again 30 Seconds.
Coriander Leaves

Add Ingredients In Order Shown.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2022, 11:16 PM »
I confess that I haven tried the recipe, but I am minded to do so in terms of the very favourable feedback that it received, but with one substitution :  pre-cooked chicken for chicken tikka.  There is nothing "old school" in using chicken tikka in curries — it's a nasty modern abomination, IMHO, totally destroying the intended texture — and especially not in a Madras.

I'd be happy to do a side by side and I'd probably go with Syed's Tikka.  Quick, easy and delicious.  I have 2 crown breasts in the fridge that I cut from whole birds the other day.  I think I'll use one for tonight's dinner.  1 large breast fillet in each version.  I can't remember which base gravy I have in the freezer. I think it may be Rik's (ie; Loveitspicey, aka Backyard Chef).

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2022, 09:25 PM »
I did all the pre-cooks and prep on Saturday but due to a car crash outside our house in the afternoon, did not get to cook the actual dishes until last night.  Here are pictures of the 2 side by side Old School Madras. The first one is made with Syed's Chicken Tikka and the second with pre-cooked chicken.

Were they good?  Yes.
Were they different? Yes, but only slightly.  (I deliberately used less Chilli in the PCC version for benefit of wife.)
Did I prefer one over the other?  Not really. There is so little difference and the ingredients in the curry dish mask any real difference in the style of chicken used.  I guess I preferred the chilli heat of the Tikka version and I like Tikka.

Also cooked Floyd's Chicken Tikka Dhansak, large serve of Bombay Aloo and Vegetable Navratan.  I'm going to cook Rik's Easy Crispy Cauliflower Pakora with Yogurt dip today.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EB-49J4-eE

©2024 Curry Recipes