Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 7241 times)

Offline After8

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Greetings
« on: November 22, 2006, 06:02 PM »
Seasonal salutations from the North East of England,

Just joined today, after having surfed around the site for a while. I've been encouraged by  my latest efforts, using the Kris Dillon book as these are the first edible curries I've made. I've never had any luck with Pat Chapman's books in the past.

I'm going to make another batch using the KD boiled onion/garlic/ginger mix, but will add some extra stuff, based on ideas I've picked up from this site.

Will look forward to posting. See you all around.

After8

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 06:18 PM »
Hi After8
Welcome to Curry maniacs R us throw away all your books because you ain't gonna need em anymore you have found Curry heaven books are ok just for reference purposes or guidelines the recipes on this site are all tried and tested.
They are even nicking our recipes for the BBC website Oh Aye  ;D Curry On !
Layne

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 08:07 PM »
Way aye mon  :o  Welcome After8, with no disrespect to the many authors, Ashes is right; all you need is CR0.  But do post us with your results, even if they are bad ones!

CP

Offline spicysarsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 10:25 PM »
 ;D ;D Thank god there's another geordie out there. A big welcome to the forum After8. Where in the N.E. are you based. Cheer's Paul

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 10:51 PM »
Hi After8 & welcome to your new home. ;D

Offline NairB

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 01:22 AM »
Greeting After8.....welcome to the quest.  ::)

Offline After8

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 09:27 AM »
Good Morning, and thanks for making me welcome.

Spicy, I live in Chester-le-Street, but do all my curry shopping in Brighton Grove, up the west end of Newcastle where you can get all the pukka stuff.

I've just donwloaded the Bruce Edwards PDF, but I would need to study that before having a go. As I'm gagging for a curry I'll probably play it safe with a KD-based recipe as I hate to see stuff go in the bin.

When I was last in the Brighton Grove shop, I noticed that the spices they sell (mainly Rajah) were available in various sizes - ranging from small tins to very very large bags (roughly the size of a supermarket carrier bag). As the pack sizes got bigger, the variety decreased. I think this will tell us a lot, about the types and quantities of spices the restaurants use. I'll make a note, the next time I'm threre, and will report back in a separate post. 

Speak to you all soon.

Afer8

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 10:39 AM »
I used to stay with friends and in digs in Birtley many times when I visited the Coal Board in Team Valley.  Used to drink in the Lambton Worm just a short walk doon the rood  ;D
CP

Small World

Offline After8

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 03:05 PM »
Chill Prawn,

About 10 -15 years ago, the Birtley Tandoori was the nearest Indian to me. It was a good one, the food was always nice, but I used to feel like I had a hangover the next day. As I never had an alcoholic drink with it, I put it down to the MSG content.

I always wondered if that illusive smokey smell and taste wasn't down to MSG. Maybe - when used in large quantities, does it become a flavour in its own right? I mean, it must have some taste. They sell bags of it at the Brighton Grove store.

After8

Offline spicysarsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 03:23 PM »

Yeh After8, I've shopped in Brighton Grove myself a few times and it's fairly easy access from my home town of South Shields. Do you think it would be possible to get the Dark Lord himself over to the geordie force as it's so powerfull. HA HA

©2024 Curry Recipes