Author Topic: North Indian duck special  (Read 2256 times)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
North Indian duck special
« on: March 22, 2015, 02:47 PM »
I accidentally let slip that I was planning to do a duck curry on Saturday night while the missus was away, 'no chance' she said 'I want to try that'.

So, I did a rush job on Friday evening. Turned out very nicely.

The recipe is basically CH's NIS. I used a different 'mix' as I had some hand roasted stuff that I'd been using for trad stuff to use up. The green chillis are larger 'Morrocan' ones we get in France, not too hot but I like that they stay a bit crunchy.

The duck is tikkaed, using a easy variation on Blade's recipe, but without the Pataks. I managed to get in 3h marinating time. I then pan cooked it as normal for 'magret de canard' i.e skin down, getting rid of the fat, finished off with my little blow torch.

I cooked the duck rare, sliced it fairly thickly, then added it for the last 5 mins of cooking time.

The photo was a bit rushed due to doing rice and paratta at the same time. Sorry about the spoon, I normally use a spatula, but I thought I'd look cooler with my pound shop chef spoon.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: North Indian duck special
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 03:17 PM »
Sacre bleu.Haute cuisine.  NIS with tikka'd duck  :P

The duck is tikkaed, using a easy variation on Blade's recipe, but without the Pataks.
Would you care to share fried?  :)

Certainly looks the biz.  Shame the rice and paratta interfered with the picture of it plated up prior to consuming the upmarket NIS though  ::)  ;D

Sorry about the spoon, I normally use a spatula, but I thought I'd look cooler with my pound shop chef spoon.
;D ;D ;D

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 03:24 PM »
As I rather enjoy my magret de canard, I had sort of dismissed talk of currying duck breast - especially given the density of the meat. But, lo and behold, it's been done! And, of course, it looks very nice indeed!

I may have to give this a go, although my good lady wife is visibly and audibly baulking at the very idea! :)

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 04:12 PM »
That looks very nice, I always have roast duck curry when I go to my local Thai.

London.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 04:24 PM »
That looks very nice, I always have roast duck curry when I go to my local Thai.

London.

I love thai duck green curry, I don't know why it isn't used more in BIR, probably 50% cultural/ 50% financial.

CH - The tikka recipe couldn't be more simple:- GG paste, tom puree, mix powder, cumin powder, GM powder, lemon juice, yogurt. I added a tsp of mango puree (duck and fruit works well). A bit of oil.

I cooked the tikka at the last minute, didn't want it to dry out to much.

©2024 Curry Recipes