Author Topic: Mixed powder....  (Read 36406 times)

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Mixed powder....
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2015, 10:34 AM »
One simple mix powder i always use is called Dhana Jeera (Dhanajiru Powder)
I always mix my own often grinding the the spices.

But i don't make a meal of it :-)

Thanks Graeme - going back to my days of cooking traditional currys, I always found these two to be the most important ingredients. If push came to shove, I reckon I could cook a basic curry using very little else and it would even be "edible" (maybe!) - it's good to learn that the B.I.R's aren't that far away from the traditional.  Cheers

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2015, 10:42 AM »
So Stu.....does that answer your question?

Yeah... I'm there.   Thanks for all input.  I'm on the right track, it's personal choice.

Cheers

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2015, 10:50 AM »
Just to freak you all out, I cooked yesterday with "Schwartz Mild Curry Powder".... It was bangin... !

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2015, 10:53 AM »
Just to freak you all out, I cooked yesterday with "Schwartz Mild Curry Powder".... It was bangin... !

If you buy your Schwartz from a shop that has a high turnover of such things, I would suggest that you would consistently get better results from using it than from using the most carefully thought-out, tried and tested so-called "mix(ed) powder" that has been festering in your spice cupboard for a twelve-month ...

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2015, 11:14 AM »
Out of interest, what's the difference between "mix" powder & "mixed" powder?

"ed"

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2015, 11:18 AM »
...Your tuppenceworth is appreciated - Cheers. 

Out of interest, what's the difference between "mix" powder & "mixed" powder?

For me, there's no difference at all - I tend to think of it as 'spice mix'. I think it's just down to personal usage of the term. :)

PS: Oops! I missed the post by SS above...
"ed"
...what he said! :)

Offline london

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2015, 03:45 PM »

The first BIR curry I cooked I used Schwartz curry powder and was please with the results, maybe I should get some Schwartz and give it another go.

London.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Real good subject and for me shows how we don't know enough.

Whether adding individual spice in place of mix will give best - i doubt. Time will tell.

Balti has taken me off my known beaten track. I won't put mix in base for the reason pointed out - for some reason its prone to chucking the final dish out of balance. Perhaps it's because the mix is wrong.

On balti have had 1 spice irritating me for some time. Thought it was cinnamon then turmeric only to find its cumin. I'm adding same chef masala to both base and dish fry. This i think causes the cumin to over power. I'm now thinking of adding spice individual to the base as I feel the chef masala is right.

I think any out of balance is in the base not the mix - I think soberat said earlier side by side of mix is very fine tuning.

I've chucked my rajah curry powder for mix out and replaced with east end - in short it's quite muddy water as everything has its effect. I thought wet finger tasting of curry powder was enough but it needs cooking to fully understand its taste.

littlechilie

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2015, 08:57 PM »
Good post JerryM, I don't use mix powder in base anymore only turmeric now. But I'm happy with the mix I'm using in curry but in small amounts only, I'm learning it's important for the background flavours to be able to come through.
I may add extra cumin or graham masala if I'm looking for that to come through.

Stu-pot I have never used that brand, must try it so I know the flavour and smell for comparison.
Thanks LC.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2015, 09:14 PM »
No Mix Powder - No Bir style cooking - No debate. ;D ;D ;D

Present a BIR Chef a jar of Schwartz or any other housewives choice curry powder
and you would be laughed out of their kitchen...Numbnuts need not reply ::)

For the interested, "MIX powder" is a Bangladeshi kitchen term for exactly what it is.
the Chefs mix of spices, used in his kitchen/cooking. (Base Spices)

Just like "Garabi" is the term for the onion gravy. (Base)
The point being, they are specific kitchen terms for two clearly defined and identified items
used daily in BIR kitchens

I also posted a couple of years ago, when I spotted a forward thinking company (IBCO)
had brought out a ready mix, aimed at BIR.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,12365.msg99872.html#msg99872
It was OK, but I don't think it took off as BIR buy in 5kg bags of primary spices.

cheers Chewy

©2024 Curry Recipes