Author Topic: I am new curry amateur cook - need advice form proffesionals  (Read 20696 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: I am new curry amateur cook - need advice form proffesionals
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 10:35 AM »
I would expect so, Karol -- one typically uses so little colouring that I cannot imagine that the glucose content will be detectable in the finished dish. 

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 11:20 AM »
i bought food coloring red and yellow, but in gel and this particular product have glucose beacaue this food coloring is for cakes, creams ets question is if i can use it to curry ?

You can but the cake colourings tend not to be as strong/vibrant as the colouring powders we use in curry making so you'll have to use more. You just have to experiment.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 11:32 AM »
Maybe try these, Karol
** Phil.

Offline charlie.pl

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 07:45 PM »
ty Phil

i saw they are natural food coloring, one question is it safe to use that amount of food coloring in this spice mix ? 15 g of food coloring i think its a lot... ?

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 07:50 PM »
ty Phil

i saw they are natural food coloring, one question is it safe to use that amount of food coloring in this spice mix ? 15 g of food coloring i think its a lot... ?

15gm is a h@ll of a lot, if it is powder, and even if it is a liquid it sounds a great deal to me.  I have some natural food colouring (Dr Oetker, I think), and it is very weak compared to the powders, but even so 1 teaspoonful (5ml = 5gm) is probably the upper bound on what I would add to a single portion.  If you use the powders, we are talking milligrammes, not grammes !  Where did you read that 15gm should be added ?

** Phil.

Offline charlie.pl

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 08:03 PM »
15g it was in tandoori masala spice mix so in 210g - 235g of Tandoori Masala is like 15 grams of this food coloring i know that you only use 1 table spoon of tandori spice mix for 2 portions but even so 15 g in only 200 g of spice mix dunno what to think

what about those two they are gonne give good red color ?

"If you wish to use natural food colours, replace the artificial colours with 20g (about 4 teaspoons) of beetroot powder + 10g (about 2 teaspoons) of anatto seed powder "

??

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Oh, in that case 15gm food colouring in 300gm spice mix doesn't sound disproportionate to me.  As to the beetroot + anatto, it will certainly give a red colour, but won't be as intense, saturated or vibrant as the powders that I and many BIRs use.

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 11:37 PM »
ty Phil

Charlie save yourself some money, time and probably health and just don't use colourings. They are absolutely unnecessary.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 04:45 PM »
1. Is it worth to buy Tikka, Tandori, Masala and other Patak's Paste - YES (if not use Lasan http://curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4182.0)
2. I was thinking about Mustard oil is it safe to use it in the kitchen ? Cause i read that this oil is for external use only - YES (just had 4% prospect of dying and use it all the time)
3. Is it optional to use coconut flour instead of coconut block - YES (block is not good except in base)
4. I was broswering through forum and i couldnt find easy/good chicken Tikka Masala Recipe (I will start from something thats easy) would you be so kind to give me any link ? - Use Chewytikka (not got link do search - you need carrot paste "Red Masala Paste" and yogurt paste "Red Masala sauce")

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 04:49 PM »
Jerry is  probably thinking of this one.
** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes