Author Topic: Easy Microwave Chilli Powder,  (Read 12194 times)

littlechilie

Easy Microwave Chilli Powder,
« on: April 01, 2015, 02:00 PM »
 }

}

Easy Microwave Chilli Powder,

Extreme Cation Recommended When Making.

Take 10 habanero Chillies and slice thinly, then place on a plate and microwave on full power for 8 minutes In a 900w microwave.
Checking every 2 minutes to move chillies around the dish so not to burn, after 8 minuets leave to stand and cool, taking great caution when opening up microwave. It's like a lung full of CS gas so stand back.

Place the plate of Chillies back in microwave on defrost for 5 minuets carful not to burn, when finished leave to cool they should be dry and crisp.
If it needs longer adjust times until your happy.
Add to grinder 1 tsp of salt, dried Habaneros, dried Garlic or Garlic powder, about a ground tsp and red Kashmir chilies or powder, blitz to a fine powder. 

Same process can be used to make any Chilli powder of choice, times may vary.

Enjoy in curry or great as a dry rubs for meat ac barbecue.

LC

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Easy Microwave Chilli Powder,
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 03:20 PM »
My chilli powder grinding days are finished (see a previous post), that looks lethal. But just a tip.

If after grinding you add a couple of drops of oil to the powder, then mix, it'll give it a much deeper red colour. This info was given to me by my mother-in-law and is used in Turkey, and I imagine elsewhere.

Looks better if you're selling it or giving it as gifts.

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 04:16 PM »
Very interesting technique, LC. I generally air-dry any surplus from my own home-grown chillies, but I'll be sure to buy some at the supermarket and give this method a go.

littlechilie

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 04:59 PM »
Great tip Fried I will be sure to try this.

Naga, I used to do the same but this is so quick and easy, there is no difference in the flavour as I have used both methods. As u suggest I also just buy from my local market a bag of peppers is less than a pound ;)

If MA pops along my local market is also selling the Dorset Naga at the moment, the guy seemed to think they might be a little to hot for me.

Offline Micky Tikka

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 05:29 PM »
Great stuff LC
Is this your own creation ?   ( just intrigued )
cheers MT

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 05:35 PM »
Great post LC, and good to see something that's a little bit different.

littlechilie

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 06:03 PM »
Great stuff LC
Is this your own creation ?   ( just intrigued )
cheers MT

Hi MT, the microwave method for dehydrating food products has been around for years, but  just applied it for use of dehydrating Chilies ;) I put the powder mix together and it works for me, I use the tsp of salt to stop it clumping due to moisture.
Cheers LC. 

Offline rshome123

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 06:19 PM »
LC... like the idea of home made chilli powder.  Have you tried it using Scotch Bonnet chillies instead of Habaneros?  I know they are similar. I can buy scotch bonnets quite cheap locally.

littlechilie

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 07:16 PM »
LC... like the idea of home made chilli powder.  Have you tried it using Scotch Bonnet chillies instead of Habaneros?  I know they are similar. I can buy scotch bonnets quite cheap locally.

Yep it works really well anything really, just got to keep an eye on them, a little burning is ok but as long as they don't char you will be fine.

I grew scotch bonnets last year and had a great crop of fruit, ended up giving a lot of my powder away as 10 plants was to many.

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Personally I wouldn't dry fresh chillies in the microwave, great as a quick fix but not recommended.
For the flavour to develop properly the chillies need to dry slow and long, any burning at all will only result in a bitter tasting powder.
Either put in the oven on lowest setting and leave for 10 hours, depending on how thick the chilli walls are, or dry in a dehydrator.
I wouldn't add salt either TBH

©2024 Curry Recipes