Author Topic: Hello from Staffordshire  (Read 6167 times)

Offline Alvidar

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Hello from Staffordshire
« on: April 01, 2015, 08:50 PM »
Hello all, just joined...had no idea such a great site existed. I hope to be able (in the fullness of time) to be able to contribute as well as to gain knowledge and experience. My journey has been, like so many of us, from Vesta, to ignorant diner at 3am after a night on the town clubbing, to curious, to novice, to serious experimenter, to competent amateur curry-chef. I have travelled the globe in my search for a great curry (but I have yet to visit the South Asian nations...maybe soon). I won't apologise for asking what may seem basic questions for some who have been curry enthusiasts for longer than me...we all have to learn. However, it seems that many of my Indian friends are reluctant to share some of the secrets of the elusive great curry...so hopefully I will find out about the holy grail of curry-making in these web pages. Thanks for letting me in. Alvidar. 8)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Staffordshire
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 08:59 PM »
Welcome Alvidar.

Ahhhh Vesta - brings back memories.

Look forward to your contributions my friend :)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 09:01 PM »
Welcome on board Alvidar

I won't apologise for asking what may seem basic questions for some who have been curry enthusiasts for longer than me...we all have to learn.
And many of us won't apologise for asking the same basic questions ourselves, although we've been at it for so long  ;D
Never a dull moment and always loads to learn and question  ???

Ah Vesta, even my homecooked attempts are better than that (moderated moderated)  ::)

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 09:06 PM »
Now now, CH. My first introduction to 'curry' was that horrible, congealed yellowish curry sauce that the local chippy used to serve back in the 70's (and actually still do). Then the work's canteen used to make a similar thing with sultanas in it (puke).

Vesta was a revelation lmao :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 03:50 PM »
Vesta was crap. anyone who thought or thinks otherwise likes a different curry to BIR.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 04:10 PM »
Vesta was crap. anyone who thought or thinks otherwise likes a different curry to BIR.

At the time, dear Jeremy, it was new and exciting. And to say, that as a 13 year-old, when I first had it and liked it, doesn't allow me to like BIR now, is laughable even by your standards  ???

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 04:53 PM »
Garpy,

new and exciting - no.

it put me off so much that i preferred to sit in car than go in BIR. how foolish was that. i'm sure you will know.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 06:11 PM »
I think you missed my point, Jerry.

When I first tasted Vesta there were no BIR's near me. Just a chip shop which had started to sell that horrible yellow powdery curry sauce stuff.

it put me off so much that i preferred to sit in car than go in BIR.

That's how I felt about early chippy/canteen curries mate (though we didn't have a car to sit in) :)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 07:32 PM »
(though we didn't have a car to sit in) :)
Aye, those were the days when the nearest thing you got to a BIR or TA was when your mum picked up the all in one Vesta box.  My, what a treat  ;D

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 07:57 PM »
I was mad for the Vesta Paella and Chow Mein with Crispy Noodles back in the day. It all seemed so new, exotic and exciting.

Couldn't stand the Beef and Chicken Curries though. Reminded me of regurgitated baby food - but didn't taste as good!

©2024 Curry Recipes