Author Topic: Base for fish curry  (Read 4500 times)

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Base for fish curry
« on: April 01, 2015, 10:43 PM »
Have tried the search box,to no avail,so can you advise the best base for Fridays fish curry.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Base for fish curry
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 11:04 PM »
Have tried the search box,to no avail,so can you advise the best base for Fridays fish curry.
Can't help there, I'm afraid; the only fish curries I have ever made were shellfish curries (king prawn) and I just used my bog-standard KD1/PC base.

** Phil.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 09:38 AM »
I don't use base gravy for fish curry.  The flavours need to be subtle and I've always found traditional methods produce a far more pleasing end result.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 09:46 AM »
In BIR terms the same base sauce is used for all curries so I'm thinking given the date of the post it might be Geoffbrick's little poisson d'avril.  ;)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 10:31 AM »
36 hours ago over here.

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 09:46 PM »
Thanks again guys,concensus says time against,so what I have done in past Ingredients :Whitefish,scallops and tiger prawns.one tsp cumin and coriander plau garam masala,a glug of groundnut oil,4 garlic cloves crushed,1 knob ginger grated.! green chilli chopped,8 curry leaves,1 and half onions sliced, 1can chopped tomato,half to 3/4 can coconut milk,squeeze lemon,4 dsps yogurt add pinch of all to rub fish.

Method: rub fish with spices.Fry ginger chilli and spices in the groundnut oil for a few mins,add onions until soft.Then add curry leaves and seasoning,stir in tomatoes 5 mins,add coconut milk 15 mins ish.

panfry fish, scallops prawns turn once,add to sauce with yogurt.Serve    Possibly a bit bland!!

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 10:08 PM »
Method: rub fish with spices.Fry ginger chilli and spices in the groundnut oil for a few mins,add onions until soft.Then add curry leaves and seasoning,stir in tomatoes 5 mins,add coconut milk 15 mins ish.

panfry fish, scallops prawns turn once,add to sauce with yogurt.Serve    Possibly a bit bland!!

Difficult to say Geoffbrick. Your intended recipe is just standard South East Asian fare.

For me (and I'm betting 90% of BIR enthusiasts) it's just impossible to enthuse about stinky fish (or shellfish) unless it's coated in batter or sitting in a bed of salad topped with a mayo concoction, otherwise known as prawn cocktail (which I'll be snacking on tonight as it happens).

Fish is just not popular in BIR land.

Shoot me down if I'm wrong.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 10:28 PM »
For me (and I'm betting 90% of BIR enthusiasts) it's just impossible to enthuse about stinky fish (or shellfish) unless it's coated in batter or sitting in a bed of salad topped with a mayo concoction, otherwise known as prawn cocktail (which I'll be snacking on tonight as it happens).  Fish is just not popular in BIR land.  Shoot me down if I'm wrong.

Well, while I probably wouldn't knowingly order a Mackerel Madras or a (Sea) Bass Bhuna, I do think that shellfish and BIR are natural partners.  Taj Chingri, for example, or the wonderful Tandoori King Prawns that come in the better Tandoori Mixed Grills.  Would you not agree, SS ?

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 10:43 PM »
For me (and I'm betting 90% of BIR enthusiasts) it's just impossible to enthuse about stinky fish (or shellfish) unless it's coated in batter or sitting in a bed of salad topped with a mayo concoction, otherwise known as prawn cocktail (which I'll be snacking on tonight as it happens).  Fish is just not popular in BIR land.  Shoot me down if I'm wrong.

Well, while I probably wouldn't knowingly order a Mackerel Madras or a (Sea) Bass Bhuna, I do think that shellfish and BIR are natural partners.  Taj Chingri, for example, or the wonderful Tandoori King Prawns that come in the better Tandoori Mixed Grills.  Would you not agree, SS ?

** Phil.

I've never had a tandoori mixed grill with prawn in it. It's always lamb pieces, chops, chicken etc. Don't get me wrong here either, I like prawns and fish but in BIR..blech..though I imagine tandoori king prawn would be very nice, just never had it.

I was more deliberating on the use of whole fish in BIR meals. Who has that? I know they do it as a meal but who eats it?

You know it's sort of the main meal equivalent of the desserts. Who has desserts in a BIR restaurant? Not many and it's usually mango kulfi. So for the main meal who has fish, not many, and it's usually prawns.

It's personal bias but I don't for a minute believe there is any real market for fish in BIR.

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 06:44 PM »
Thanks folks,Friday,s offering went down well with Chappatis and Guiness! 

I,ll stick to proper fare,enjoy the break.     Geoff 

©2024 Curry Recipes