Author Topic: Spice jars  (Read 13720 times)

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Spice jars
« on: April 03, 2015, 11:17 AM »
Easy to fill if you use a jam funnel and! And flat lids are easy to write on.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 11:42 AM by Curry addict bob »

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Spice jars
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 12:53 PM »
Great idea! Bit small; using kilner jars.

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 04:27 PM »
Great idea! Bit small; using kilner jars.

I have a lot of spices so I've compacted them into smaller jars but it's quick to top them up.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 04:48 PM »
Looks like you're very well organised, Bob :)

Like onions, I prefer larger jars, especially for the spices I use a lot of (cumin, coriander, fenugreek, paprika, chilli etc) and use smaller ones for those used less often (fennel, nigella, black mustard, asafoetida etc).

But liking your set-up bud :)

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 05:21 PM »
Similar setup to mine Bob. I have mine in a drawer. I have to replenish them quite regularly like you though.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 05:23 PM »
I see you're using the Kilner version; do you keep and use the checked paper tops, or do you jettison them and rely solely on the rubber O-ring ?

** Phil.

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 05:40 PM »
I just rely on the rubber seal, I do find that I have to adjust the clips in order to get a good seal though, so maybe I should have kept the paper insert too.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 06:03 PM »
I just rely on the rubber seal, I do find that I have to adjust the clips in order to get a good seal though, so maybe I should have kept the paper insert too.

Ah, that is interesting.  I was considering the Kilner jars, as they are quite cheap in bulk, but worried that the paper seal might (would) acquire the aroma of the spice, so if the jar were subsequently re-used for a different spice there would be minor cross-contamination, but I imagine the paper seals are also available in bulk, in which case they could simply be replaced.

** Phil.

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 08:18 PM »
I see you're using the Kilner version; do you keep and use the checked paper tops, or do you jettison them and rely solely on the rubber O-ring ?

** Phil.

Them kilner jars look the business and I can tell that the drawers will lift out if need be
I like to take my spices over to the work surface really impressed with your system

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 08:47 PM »
I hadn't thought of that Phil, but it is a good point. It would be worth seeing if there are any replacement papers available. I'm not even sure whether it would be possible to make some. They would help to keep any moisture out as well I guess, as I have found that certain spices just absorb  it when you open them, Chinese 5 spice seems to be the worst. I did buy them in bulk and then used the card inserts to divide them in the drawer, but I threw the paper out ::)

Bob, the drawers do lift out but they have a good extension on them so you can pull them out all the way. I guess you could just make a drawer that fits your plastic containers. 

©2024 Curry Recipes