Author Topic: Dubai - favourite old time curry places  (Read 5536 times)

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Dubai - favourite old time curry places
« on: November 25, 2006, 06:55 PM »
Lived in Dubai -'77 to '84 & back there in mid 90s.  Fantastic authentic food at :-

Khyber Restaurant - near Dubai side (or was it deira side?) police station.  Chicken butter boneless, Chicken tikka massalla - khyber special veg - fantastic

Ravi Restaurant - Satwa - best chicken tikka over the bbq ever

- can't find anything to touch them in uk - not even the curry mile near me in Manchester - although the Gaylord in Spring Gardens Manchester came very close - but sadly now closed

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Dubai - favourite old time curry places
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 12:39 PM »
Small world eh?  I was backwards and forwards to the Emirates for a few years (70s - 80s) and lived in Abu Dhabi 80-83 with my family.  I had an office there and another on the 24th floor of the Trade Centre in Dhubai.  I used to go to all the curry houses in Dhubai and I agree their foods were fantastic.  Our main source of curries in Abu Dhabi was The 'British' Club on the creek and we also use to go diving/holidaying in Khor Fakaan and the Holiday Inn chefs used to knock out some fantastic Indian and Sri Lankan curries.  Also used to eat at the Gaylord, that was the first time my wife had Tandoori Trout.  I worked in Manchester for 20 odd years for ICL.

CP

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 12:42 PM »
I notice you have just joined Ghoulie, so welcome aboard this great Forum.

Chilli Prawn

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 03:15 PM »
did you find any other good indian restauarants in Manchester?  Jai Katmandu in Northenden was good until recently - they're training a new chef!!

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 04:11 PM »
can now report the Jai Kathmandu in Northenden back up to speed re new chef - he's obviously finally learned !

Disappointing meals in the Dilli in Altrincham - despite its Michelin star !!  Service at weekends too is atrocious gets far too busy.

anyone know where the guys chef  who ran the Gaylord in Manchester went to - its closure sadly missed?

tried the new India Gate in Altrincham - rubbish - despite its highly acclaimed meals from a write up in the Manchester Evening News & the menu reading of 'infusions' with everything

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 04:17 PM »
will be in Dubai next week !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chipfryer

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 08:29 PM »
Hi Ghoulie.

Please take some pics for us if thats possible? Would be nice to see how folks do it elsewhere too. In Egypt it was Chicken on the bone. Sauce was gorgeous but since I was expecting something else I was a little taken back frankly.

Great cooks however.
Have a safe trip.

will be in Dubai next week !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Ghoulie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 10:15 AM »
Well - had a fantastc week in Dubai. Stayed at the Al Qasr Jumeirah Medinat hotel.  What a place.  Sampled some excellent Indian food in the souk restaurant in the hotel complex and also in their own main restaurant.  Sadly didn't make the Khyber Restaurant in Bur Dubai - ran out of time - but did make it to the Ravi Restaurant in Satwa - Chiken Tikka has never tasted so good - exactly as we remembered it - had Naans, curry suace (fantastic) butter chicken (didn't look the part - but brilliant taste), veg curry - excellent & 3 mild dishes for the grandkids  - 200 Dirhams for 9 of us - ?30 !

sorry - no pictures chipfryer

Shawarmas are also fantastic in Satwa -  but have also tasted Shawarmas  just as good - Lebanese restaurant next to Londons Appollo theatre (Hammersmith?) down the left side of the Appollo as you look at the front of the theatre

©2024 Curry Recipes