Author Topic: Is it possible to over cook your base ?  (Read 32444 times)

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to over cook your base ?
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2015, 12:09 PM »
Hi SR.  That sounds very familiar to what I've got going on here!  When I was boiling it, the water came out the onions very quickly and evaporated very quickly too.  So all that they were cooking in for the last 20 mins was the oil I first put it.  Ratio was 3 cups water, 1 cup oil (4 kg onions).  I had to stay on top of it to avoid it catching too much and burning.  The smell was like frying onions. It smelt great.  Like yours, my curries are a little darker but I like that too.  I used a high heat to get this working. 

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2015, 12:20 PM »
That's it, yeah, fried onion! Mine was done in a pressure cooker which didn't give any control which is why I haven't cooked for so long since.

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2015, 12:30 PM »
Do you still cook and like this type of base?  Or have you something better you prefer?

Offline SoberRat

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2015, 02:03 PM »
Recently I have been using Jb's recipe but using a slightly different method to the spec one. I've put a link below. I have been getting some good results with this.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,13939.0.html

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2015, 02:51 PM »
Thanks for that link SR...  I'll be giving that one a go sometime soonish.

Cheers

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2015, 11:14 PM »
This thread is about; is it possible to over cook your base?   Well, after many weeks trying all sorts of methods/techniques, I think the answer is NO.  Every time I cook a base on very high heat, in 1 hour for the veg, it turns brown and smells like fried onions. Anyone else get this?

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2015, 11:51 PM »
Chewy,  am I on the right track here in your opinion?

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2015, 12:38 AM »
Stu-pot?  I think you are over-cooking your base judging from the photos a few posts back.  Why are you cooking it on "High Heat"?  Once I have reached a heat level where it is cooking I put the pot on the smallest burner and turn the heat down so that it just simmers away gently for a long time.  I would say if you are having to watch it and prevent catching then you are too dry and too hot.  The T/A chefs aren't wanting to be hovering over a pot of gravy while it cooks away.  They probably go back to it occasionally to give it a stir.  I know I just put mine on and generally leave it go really.

Most of the base gravy recipe videos and pictures I have seen have much less colour that the one you have pictured and it looks way too thick.  I can't say I smell frying onions and I would think this suggests you are getting it too dry and too hot.

This is only just my opinion though. Others may see it differently.  The thing you need to ask yourself is, are you making nice curries out of it?

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2015, 07:35 AM »
Some base recipes call for cooking on high heat

Offline bigboaby1

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2015, 10:03 AM »
I normally boil the onions for about 2 hours untill they become mush.The first hour on a high heat,,the last hour on medium ....It's only when you blend and cook further then there is a danger of it burning and sticking to the bottom of the pot.....but with my method,sorry Cafe India method there is no further cooking after the blend...In the past once blended i use to cook for a further 45 minutes but i now add this time before i blend,tasting,making sure it's sweet and sugary and then i know it's ready to blend... Oily curry's are fine for home use but my costumers don't want to see it,,unless you specifically ask for a curry with extra oil, which very rarely happens,infact it doesn't...I'm quite certain tho some guys on here would ask for it that way lol..If i cooki for myself i use the old style bringing the oil back to the top....both ways taste exactly the same,but to be honest i like to feel the oil on my lips...MORE PEOPLE ARE HEALTH CONSCIOUS THAN EVER THESE DAYS...If they can't see oil they think, well it can't really be that bad,,If only they knew The choice is yours...bb1

©2024 Curry Recipes