Author Topic: What's for dinner, Josephine?  (Read 414765 times)

Online Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: What
« Reply #1310 on: June 22, 2020, 06:46 PM »
PS. Santa, the Syed Chicken Rogon may not be how you make Rogon Josh and it certainly isn't Authentic Kashmiri Lamb RJ, but you really do need to give this dish a go. It is great.

Yes, I don't doubt it's a good curry and I'll eventually get around to making it. Probably with your micro version of the base. It was the idea that a RJ is a bhuna with a topping ... nahh!

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: June 22, 2020, 08:14 PM »
I'm afraid that that was also my thought, although I have little doubt that some (many ?  most ?) BIRs may well prepare one in that way ...
** Phil.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: June 22, 2020, 09:29 PM »
Hell of a lot of oil there mate.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: June 22, 2020, 09:53 PM »
Garp, you are right. The lamb RJ had a layer of orange fat in the container when cold. I should have removed it before heating.  I also felt that the bhuna / RJ was oily (see below. probably my own fault). Oil doesn't bother me and the meal was delicious.

I didn't actually measure the oil into the pan but simply squirted some out of my sauce bottle and I think I was a bit heavy handed on the butter ghee.  After the Base Gravy went in I used the chef spoon to remove probably 1 1/2 TBSP of oil as it reduced.  I put this back into the Base Gravy pot.

My recent research into Rogah Josh has shown that even the basic Indian version (Mrs Singh), while having some tomato, is not really a tomato based curry.  The Kashmiri versions contain no tomato. Many restaurant's advertise RJ as tomato based and I have prepared recipes with a heavy tomato component.  Also RJ is sometimes cooked as a 2 part dish, in BIR anyway, so I guess that's where Syed is coming from with this one.  To be honest there isn't a huge difference between the 2 dishes from the same pan, but that doesn't stop them from being really good.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 10:56 PM by livo »

Offline Robbo141

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: July 07, 2020, 11:14 PM »
Homemade bison burgers tonight, while my last portion of Instant Pot base and Syed

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: July 08, 2020, 09:09 AM »
And yes, unfortunately, having only lived in the US for 6 years, I admit I do think of them as fries, not chips any more.  Oh the heresy. My former local chippy in Sunderland would not be pleased.

Ego te absolvo a peccatis tuis, mi fili.

Offline zedraki

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: August 16, 2020, 06:54 AM »
hi

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: August 24, 2020, 11:25 AM »
I had fish n chips.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: August 24, 2020, 12:27 PM »
Mildry surprised that "fish n chips" hasn't ?yet? become "fishnchippo" in the Antipodean vernacular ... !

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: August 25, 2020, 12:29 AM »
No Phil. Still chips and made from potato (unless you go to the Golden Arches where they are called fries and who knows what they are).  I've been a bit too busy to even get near a curry cook recently but I can feel the urge returning.  I may start with a simple good old fashioned Sausage Curry one night this week.

©2024 Curry Recipes