Author Topic: What's for dinner, Josephine?  (Read 415013 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: What
« Reply #320 on: April 19, 2015, 01:42 PM »
Chicken Jalfrezi for tea...

That looks good! :)

Offline Sverige

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 19, 2015, 07:00 PM »
Thought I'd bring my self imposed curry hiatus to an end tonight and went with a nice tasty lamb madras. I don't often go for a lamb curry, but when I do it always seems like madras suits the deep rich flavour of lamb best. I added a good amount of the lamb stock from the precook back into the curry and that always helps the flavour along. 

Showing off my copper serving dish first which Livo helped me buff up!  The lamb was super tender and the dish had almost a sweetness to it, without the use of any sugar.

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 19, 2015, 07:06 PM »
Oh yes.... That looks the duck -uts...

Very good mate.

Such a a silky smooth looking sauce!

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 19, 2015, 07:13 PM »
I could eat that. Lamb is good.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 19, 2015, 08:42 PM »
For me, also a lamb curry.  And this time, with some mistakes.

1) It didn't taste of lamb -- it tasted of "meat".  Why ?  Because I decided to pre-cook the lamb in leftover curry sauce, but didn't want to use the sauce for the final curry, preferring to start that from scratch.  As a result, all of the lamb flavour leached out into the (unwanted) curry sauce, leaving none to contribute to the final dish.

2) The rice was darker than usual.  Why ?  Because I decided to crush /all/ the whole spices with a mortar and pestle (apart from the kala jeera), whereas I normally crush only the whole green cardamom.

Ah well, two lessons learned for next time.

Correction :  on packing the leftover rice away, I now see that the dark colouration came from an excess of kala jeera rather than occurring as a side-effect of the crushing of the whole spices.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:49 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Onions

• Elite Curry Master
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 19, 2015, 08:45 PM »
Shame if it didn't work for you Phil, but exemplar of the eyes being deceiving... the 'meat' curry looks fine.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 19, 2015, 08:50 PM »
Kind of you to say so, Onions, but had I been served this in a BIR I would have accused the chef of substituting cheaper meat for lamb !  Maybe I have unfairly accused some of this in the past, now I come to think of it ...  Also ...  I have a strange feeling my wife may have told me at some point that when the Vietnamese cook lamb, they /deliberately/ pre-cook it and then jettison the pre-cook liquid, because neither the smell nor the flavour of lamb (or mutton) are attractive to most Vietnamese.  I must check this with her next time she is online.

** Phil.

Offline Stu-pot

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 19, 2015, 09:25 PM »
Your Lamb Curry looks fantastic Phil...  And totally understand re leaching the flavour.  I havent pre-cooked Lamb for that reason for a while now.   I find the only way to have Lamb curry is 'traditional style' or the Lamb tastes like my leftover Sunday lunch!

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 20, 2015, 01:19 AM »
Great looking curries,
Good Jalfrezi and really tasty looking Lamb Madras (with portion control) :D

Inspired a late supper, Bhuna Beef and Lao

Lovely chunks of braising beef, from (The Fat Butcher) and sweet Butternut Squash
done in a red onion Bhuna sauce, served with a mushroom and cashew nut pilau biryani. Whoopdeedoo!

cheers Chewy

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 20, 2015, 02:07 AM »
Chewy superb mate

My kind of combo - Beef and squash or pumpkin - excellent

best, Rich

©2024 Curry Recipes