Author Topic: What's for dinner, Josephine?  (Read 415526 times)

Offline Les

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: What
« Reply #570 on: May 19, 2015, 04:44 PM »
I knew there was something missing,  Where is dobbin ;D

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 19, 2015, 08:35 PM »
Some tikka paste, fresh coriander, mix powder, salt and a mix of fresh garlic, green chillies, carrot.
I get this from the same Asian store where I get the chicken.
The garlic, chilli and carrot mix has gone through a fine mincing  process (that sounds wrong) and kept in the fridge for a few hours. During this time a lot of water collects in the bottom of the bowl. The butcher then uses a slotted spoon and drains it before adding some to a plastic bag.
I use about 4 tablespoons of this mix to a kilo of minced chicken.

Simple but delicious.
Cheers
Mick

So is it the carrot / chilli / garlic mix you get from the butcher? or more than that?  Do you have any idea of the ratios?  I've just made a batch but had to guess at quantity.  (1 x medium carrot, 1 x 4" chilli and 3 garlic cloves, all finely grated)

Approximately how much paste and mix powder do you use / kg of chicken mince ?  I won't use much coriander anyway.

Think I'll put some finely sliced shallot / green onion in as well though.

I started straight away. They just look so good.

Hi Livo,
I get the minced chicken and the garlic/chilli/carrot from the same butcher.
The carrot is much less than the garlic and chilli. To be honest you could leave it out and I don't think you would notice. But I would say the ratio is about 45/45/10%  garlic/chilli/carrot.
I don't measure out the rest of the ingredients but about...

1 tablespoon of Mix powder
1 tablespoon of Tikka Paste
1/2 teaspoon of Salt....

Using 15ml tablespoon measure

Cheers
Mick

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 19, 2015, 10:46 PM »
Thanks. I'll have to redo the three mix ratio. I was way out.  Not a problem.  Cant wait to give them a try.

To the question of shrinkage, I saw a video from an American burger cook one time and he commented on shrinkage occurring if you "over-work" the pattie.  He advocated the minimum amount of shaping possible and keeping the meat quite loose rather than tightly compacted.

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 20, 2015, 09:03 AM »
To the question of shrinkage, I saw a video from an American burger cook one time and he commented on shrinkage occurring if you "over-work" the pattie.  He advocated the minimum amount of shaping possible and keeping the meat quite loose rather than tightly compacted.

Thanks livo,
Now there could lie my problem, I do mix the meat rather well ;D, 

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 20, 2015, 11:00 PM »
Les, obviously additional ingredients need to be added to the meat and mixed through adequately. I think the video cook was more so referring to the formation of the meatball and then the compaction of this into the pattie shape.  Too much attention here is the likely cause of the shrinkage.

I remember back to my youth and late nights at the pub, when drinks were over at 10.00 pm. Many patrons would cross over the road to the packed out burger shop, affectionately known as "Greasy Ray's" back then. If memory serves me, Ray's patties were actually large round meatballs and he didn't flatten them till they hit the grill plate and he adeptly spread them out using 2 large spatulas.  His charming wife, Lizzy was not to be crossed and she kept control of the often near riotous crowd by simply threatening to deny food to trouble makers.  This usually, but not always, worked.

Since watching that video and for uniformity of shape I use a double egg ring and simply push the meat in, run a knife around it to remove the ring and that's it.

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: May 21, 2015, 02:44 PM »
Well a bit of a celebratory dinner tonight

Offline Les

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: May 21, 2015, 04:41 PM »
I remember back to my youth and late nights at the pub, when drinks were over at 10.00 pm. Many patrons would cross over the road to the packed out burger shop, affectionately known as "Greasy Ray's" back then. If memory serves me, Ray's patties were actually large round meatballs and he didn't flatten them till they hit the grill plate and he adeptly spread them out using 2 large spatulas.  His charming wife, Lizzy was not to be crossed and she kept control of the often near riotous crowd by simply threatening to deny food to trouble makers.  This usually, but not always, worked.

Since watching that video and for uniformity of shape I use a double egg ring and simply push the meat in, run a knife around it to remove the ring and that's it.

Something like this guy I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsiVgmKTksk&list=PLYw9mABdqJb-sotpp8fGS6B9FFuFi5mFU&index=13

I made some more yesterday, trying not to mush them up so much, and we didn't like the texture at all, very grainy. but practice makes perfect, might try this guy in the video's way and see how it goes. but to me he is squeezing all the juice out the burger, unless sealing it first prevents this.

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: May 21, 2015, 10:51 PM »
Yes Les, I agree that his method would push the juices out.  The old Ray and Lizzie technique was just quick and done.  Drop the ball on the grill, two spatulas to flatten it then leave it.  I can't find the original video I watched years ago but here is one that is similar in content although difficult to listen to.  Americans are passionate about burgers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVvlgy37-cw

This one from the "Your doing it all wrong" series is interesting as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seLgqS2A_y0

That's a good looking spread there Loveitspicy.

Cooked my CBM Tikka burger patties this afternoon. I made 3 huge burger sized patties and there was enough left for me to have a sampler before dinner.  They are a real winner for mine.  I'll be eating them for dinner tonight and other nights for sure.

I also think there is endless variation of these things. Great idea. Thanks for the inspiration CBM.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:09 AM by livo »

Online mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: May 22, 2015, 03:26 PM »

Just sent out the largest single order today 365 cases containing 12 curries in each

Offline Curry addict bob

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: May 22, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Here is my thai green chicken curry! Including lime leaves frozen ones! And lemon grass etc This recipe is my own formulation and I've been making this for around 10 years.

©2024 Curry Recipes