Author Topic: What’s for tea (dinner ) tonight Josephine?  (Read 232482 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
  • Who Cares Who Wins...
    • View Profile
Re: What’s for tea (dinner ) tonight Josephine?
« Reply #1260 on: March 27, 2020, 10:13 PM »

And this seems like a perfect time to try out loveitspicy's Doner-in-a-Tin - the one I said I would do years ago and never quite got around to it! Well, if I can buy minced lamb in the rapidly-emptying shops, that is!

And let me know what its like as i'm always up for some homemade kebab...

Good to hear from you, Gav! Aye, I'll let you know what it tastes like as soon as one of the family opens a suitable tin for the use of! Everything else is good to go but the tin!

Offline romain

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
    • glebe kitchen
« Reply #1261 on: March 28, 2020, 01:56 AM »
First attempt at pizza this year. I was a little timid so overtopped but still tasty
glebekitchen.com

Offline Madrasandy

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: March 28, 2020, 06:07 AM »
First attempt at pizza this year. I was a little timid so overtopped but still tasty

Spot on mate, I’ve being trying to get strong bread flour and dried yeast for 2 weeks now and can’t get any
You cant beat the heat

Offline livo

• View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: March 28, 2020, 06:11 AM »
It will work just as well wrapped in foil in a loaf pan.  I used my wife's cylindrical loaf pan.  The spring form type that has a split down the length and removable end caps.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: March 28, 2020, 06:14 AM »
Last nights tea,Tandoori chicken naga Jalfrezi with garlic and chilli naan
Absolutely delicious with a sweat inducing heat
You cant beat the heat

Offline livo

• View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: March 28, 2020, 06:23 AM »
Spot on mate, I’ve being trying to get strong bread flour and dried yeast for 2 weeks now and can’t get any

Same out here MA. I was lucky enough to find a 5kg bag of bread flour this week (last one on the shelf and the first I've seen in weeks) and when I got to the checkout it was on special.  I already have a pack of yeast but it is unavailable in the main stores out here as well.  Check the Asian markets. 

At a pinch plain flour (10% protein) is usually strong enough to do a fair pizza.  Maybe ask a local bakery if they can spare a little yeast.  You can grow yeast from a very small amount and harvest it. As long as you're reasonably sterile it isn't hard and you can keep a live yeast colony dormant in the fridge for quite a while.  Check out the home brew forums for info.  Home brewers harvest their yeast colony quite a lot.

The other alternative is to do a sourdough starter.
Whiskey is the answer, but what was the question?

Offline mickyp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: March 28, 2020, 06:53 AM »
Excellent looking dish MA, i bought myself some turkish skewers with brass handels on eBay, they've got 6mm wide blades which stops the meat turning on its own, also i suppose with a larger cross sectional area the heat transfer on the inside should be better.

BTW chicken has gone up by £5 a tray at Bookers :(

Out of interest how much, and in what form of Naga chilli do you use, ? ive got frozen Naga chillies from last year but im not sure how much to use as a starting point.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 08:31 AM by mickyp »

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
  • Fingers (the fleet 5's knife man)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: March 28, 2020, 09:26 AM »
Good to see the feeding frenzy continuing  :like: I decided to forgo the planned dinner for last night and end up cooking a hot vindaloo with my keema rice.  Unlike many I prefer my curry with a thicker sauce :umy:
So singe baby singe, the curry's getting better ..........

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: March 28, 2020, 09:38 AM »
“Out of interest how much, and in what form of Naga chilli do you use, ? ive got frozen Naga chillies from last year but im not sure how much to use as a starting point.“

That really depends how hot you like it, last night I used a dried naga roasted and ground to a powder, 2ts hot chilli powder and 3 finger chillies. Just enough heat to get a little sweat on
You cant beat the heat

Offline Madrasandy

• View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: March 28, 2020, 09:41 AM »
I decided to forgo the planned dinner for last night and end up cooking a hot vindaloo with my keema rice.  Unlike many I prefer my curry with a thicker sauce :umy:
I like a thick sauce CH if I’m just eating with naan or paratha, but I do like a runnier sauce if serving with rice or chips
How close to your goal are you with this vindaloo ?
You cant beat the heat

©2020 Curry Recipes