Author Topic: Today's Experiment - Lamb Curry with Butternut Squash and Spinach  (Read 1638 times)

Offline AzFoodie

• Chef
    • View Profile
I experimented with a lamb curry today.  Here's what I did:

Marinade 500gms of lamb overnight in a coarse paste of 1 medium red onion, 10 cloves of garlic, 5 cms of garlic, 3 tbs Madras curry powder, and 1 tbs of Kashmiri chili powder, all blitzed in a mini food processor:

Heat 3 tbs of ghee in a pan and add 3 black cardamom, 2 sticks of cinnamon, and 2 bay leaves:

Fry the lamb along with the marinade for about 30 mins till the mix is relatively dry:

Add 1tsp of cardamom seeds and 6 cloves powdered, and continue to saute for 10 mins.  Add 1/2-cup of tomato puree and salt to taste.  Add 3 cups of water.  Bring to boil, cover with lid, and simmer for 90 minutes.

Add a couple of handfuls of pieces of butternut squash.  Add a couple of handfuls of spinach leaves.  Add a paste of 1/4-cup of heavy cream, 6 cashews, and 2 tsps of poppy seeds.  Add couple of pinches of garam masala, adjust salt, and cook for 5 mins to finish.

The curry had a wonderful aroma, but had a very slight bitter after-taste.  I added a touch of honey and salt, and that took care of the problem.

Why did the curry have a bitter after-taste in the first place?  I don't think I burnt anything.  I was reading somewhere that blitzing the onion in a processor instead of finely chopping with a knife, can make a curry bitter.  Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks as always!

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 02:57 AM by AzFoodie »

littlechilie

Re: Today's Experiment - Lamb Curry with Butternut Squash and Spinach
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 03:05 PM »
Hi AzFoodie, I would marinate without the onion and half the garlic and ginger, also a little spice mix.

boil the onion with the remaining g+g paste and a little water + salt until soft. Add a little coconut block and melt in to the onions with a tsp of your spice mix then reduce.
Then blend to a nice consistency it should taste sweet and slightly spiced! Heat oil and fry whole spice, then  add marinated meat from room temp + spice mix and cook out using a good amount of oil and your tomato paste.

Then add your onion gravy to the meat masala and cook out to taste! :)

This I a mix of traditional and BIR cooking, it's also not the only way to do this process.

Have a good look through the forum to get some alternative input.

Hope this helps
LC.

Add ex

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 03:28 PM by littlechilie »

Offline AzFoodie

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Experiment - Lamb Curry with Butternut Squash and Spinach
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 04:10 PM »
Thank you, LC!

©2024 Curry Recipes