Author Topic: Achieving BIR Quality Curry.  (Read 9575 times)

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Achieving BIR Quality Curry.
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 08:05 AM »
...I would like to get to grips with a authentic BIR balti paste...

LC, I don't know if you've visted the Cook4One website. It's been mentioned here before and I believe it's run by a former forum member.

It's chokkablok with world recipes. There is an Indian section, but there is also a separate BIR section in which he has a Balti Paste recipe on the site which I made a good while back - I can't really remember what it was it was like, only that it was OK (bearing in mind that I've never tasted an 'authentic' Balti). But, at that time, I was flitting from one recipe or technique to another, trying out everything and anything, so being 'OK' is actually something of a recommendation! :)

There's a lot of good stuff on there.

EDIT: I had a quick search and, lo and behold, I found my reference to the Balti Paste.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 11:21 AM »
We all seem to have drifted away from BIR curry of late, so to bring a curry topic back in to play I will post this question.

Are members still having difficulty achieving BIR quality curry? And if so were do you feel your not up to scratch?

For example.

Technically?
Base Gravy?
Spice?
Garlic & Ginger Paste?
Oil?
Pastes
Style of Curry?

Myself, I would like to start concentrating my time mastering the art of making great curry paste.

Do any secrets still remain undiscovered? Maybe all the BIR secrets are now available online! Posted free for us to feast our eyes over.

Well I've stuck with Taz base/method now for some years and at one team was cooking a curry each for my g/f and I most nights of the week. We kept this going for a good couple of years and in that time the quality and consistency of my curries came on leaps and bounds. From this I realised that the route to good food is technique, not a secret that is as elusive as the elixir of youth. That being the case I am happy with my curries.

There are of course many avenues to explore and there are lots of paths that I could follow:

vegetable based mains/sides
different breads and I've never quite mastered h4ppy naans
pickles and chutneys
returning to home style traditional cookery
working on presentation, e.g. Atul Kochhar

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 11:45 AM »

I do not, for one second, dispute the importance of presentation, and little could be more off-putting than the traditional British way of serving curry, which was just to dump it in the middle of a plate of plain Patna rice.  However, I am not convinced that the lengths to which Mr Kochbar goes are essential to the enjoyment of a good curry --- simple plain stainless steel utensils, a clean plate with the logo (if any) vertical, and care by the chef when serving to wipe any splashes clean before the customer sees the finished result are sufficient for me.  Together with, of course, cutlery that is selected for its ergonomics and comfort rather than because it (putatively) looks good.

** Phil.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 12:28 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

littlechilie

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 11:55 AM »
Well I've stuck with Taz base/method now for some years and at one team was cooking a curry each for my g/f and I most nights of the week. We kept this going for a good couple of years and in that time the quality and consistency of my curries came on leaps and bounds. From this I realised that the route to good food is technique, not a secret that is as elusive as the elixir of youth. That being the case I am happy with my curries.

There are of course many avenues to explore and there are lots of paths that I could follow:

vegetable based mains/sides
different breads and I've never quite mastered h4ppy naans
pickles and chutneys
returning to home style traditional cookery

I could not agree more with the above, I think finding a good set of guidelines, spices your happy with , then building and technically mastering the use of these is the key to consistant results!

That kind of points us in the direction of a solidly consistant mix powder, I'm quite sure ChewyT could advise us on this point brought up by MA?

Good post LC,
 Im struggling on mix powder. I have been using Abdul 8 spice but feel it isn't right, I like it but want to change and aren't sure to what. Cant decide if it should contain more spices or less spices, at a bit of a dead end TBH
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 12:14 PM by littlechilie »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 07:41 PM »
Littlechilli,

Penalty for living in such nice place.

It's really good to take stock every now and then as per your post.

Got to get back on the spice tasting trials I started.

Whilst I know a sort of single proven track ive been amazed recently when I've made significant changes to what I know and which has not been picked up in the eating by the family (used different mix, left carrot out of base). Even more stark has been in the balti base work which family have eaten without comment for last 7 weeks - despite significant changes. I would get immediate feedback if no good. As yet can't put my finger on why. I can only guess some aspects are more important or a threshold applies throughout.

More than anything I want to cook naan in the oven. The inverting tarva is just too much effort.

I do have interest in paste. The no 3 madras and vindaloo I have on hold has paste as the basis for the taste in those dishes. Curryhells work is all fingers crossed.

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 07:59 PM »
More than anything I want to cook naan in the oven. The inverting tarva is just too much effort.

I agree, Jerry. Flipping the 'tarva' from one side to the other is a workout :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 06:50 PM »
Garp,

We probably have more in common than we think.

Best wishes

Offline Garp

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 07:19 PM »
Probably not mate, but I appreciate the sentiment :)

Offline livo

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 12:27 AM »
Vah Reh Vah does oven naan.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 07:10 PM »
Livo,

Many thanks will have a search. Am sure can be done just how good c/w tandoor.

©2024 Curry Recipes