Author Topic: CA's Perfect Pilau Rice - Every Time! (Illustrated!)  (Read 86042 times)

Offline Essex-Steve

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Perfect Pilau Rice - Every Time! (Illustrated!)
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2007, 05:42 PM »
I tried it... and am sorry to say ballsed it... i over cooked the rice and washed out the flavour.

I will definately try it again, it still tasted like pilau rice, but washed out  ;D

My own fault... but great easy recipe... read all the instructions b4 cooking lol

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2007, 06:14 PM »
This is the second time I have done this recipe but this time with all the optional extras.
Had 6 hungry curry lovers for a dinner party, they all commented on the rice and how nice and fluffy it was and how do you get the colours to separate and not run all over the place. It was served with a hybrid BIR/authentic Dhansak (my own invention an will post it soon)
In my humble opinion, this recipe is better than any BIR pilau rice I have ever had!.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2007, 10:14 PM »
Hi ES,

Yep, as you say, best to undercook the rice and avoid washing away the flavours.

Please let us know how you get on if and when you try it again  :D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2007, 10:16 PM »
Hi Jethro,

Thanks for trying the recipe and providing feedback mate...so glad you and your guests liked it  8)

Looking forward to seeing your "hybrid dhansak" recipe too :D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2007, 02:26 PM »
This is next on the to-do list. I currently use food colouring in powdered form but find it quite hard get concise drops onto the rice - I'm going to try using a small straw I think. Would I just be better off buying the liquid food colouring? :-\

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2007, 02:50 PM »
This is next on the to-do list. I currently use food colouring in powdered form but find it quite hard get concise drops onto the rice - I'm going to try using a small straw I think. Would I just be better off buying the liquid food colouring? :-\

Hi Bobby

I use a little syringe (without the needle) which we got from the vet (our dog's annual booster).
 ;D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2008, 03:34 PM »
Are you serious??? :o A well presented Pilau and a deworming in one! Now that's what I call killing two birds with one stone ;D
With the syringe are you using powder or liquid? Or powder mixed with water? In the absence of a pet dog / serious drug habit ;D any clues as to where I could get a similar syringe? Is that the best method?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 05:43 PM by Bobby Bhuna »

Offline SnS

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2008, 09:32 PM »
Are you serious??? :o A well presented Pilau and a deworming in one! Now that's what I call killing two birds with one stone ;D
With the syringe are you using powder or liquid? Or powder mixed with water? In the absence of a pet dog / serious drug habit ;D any clues as to where I could get a similar syringe? Is that the best method?

Hi Bobby

Powdered food colouring + water + syringe.

Excellent way of controlled squirting of colour into cooked rice.

No dog - no vet - have a look round back streets of Leith - bound to be a few discarded syringes there. Failing that, go into any veternary surgeon or medical centre and ask (explain why you want it first - or you'll probably get arrested).

Regards

SnS ;D

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2008, 09:47 PM »
Just when you thought diabetes was a no win...who'd a thunk it?

Offline Jethro

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2008, 10:12 PM »
I always use liquid colourings, its just a matter of putting your finger over the end of the bottle and giving it a flick.
Yes you get a multicoloured finger that does not clean off for about three days and sometimes the colouring actually hits the rice and not the work surface,the wife and the cat but hey, its fun and artistic  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes