Author Topic: CA's Perfect Pilau Rice - Every Time! (Illustrated!)  (Read 85471 times)

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Pilau Rice - Every Time! (Illustrated!)
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 08:20 PM »
I use Star Anise in my Darbari Rice its an ace Spice..love it. :)

Offline spicysarsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 08:17 AM »

Darth, Do you find just 1 piece of Star Anise is just enough to flavour the rice, or do you use more.

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 07:18 AM »
Hi Spicy...here is a link to Darbari Rice  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=498.0
It will give you a good idea on Star anise amounts i use, but it is all down to personal taste with this powerfull Spice (just like the Darkside, muhahahhaaaaa). ;D

Offline spicysarsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 01:31 PM »

Thanks Darth, But do you leave the star anise in the rice untill you serve it up. Cheer's Paul

Offline DARTHPHALL

• Elite Curry Master
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2006, 06:04 PM »
I leave all the large whole Spices in right until i serve, then take them out before pouring the curry over it, it's much easier than bitting down on them & wishing you had took them out before serving. ;D :P

Cheers  :)

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 08:06 AM »
Fantastic photos
I'm not sure if I have missed this, but what brand of Basmatti are you using?
I have have had very different results from various brands.
The cheapest rice seems to be almost impossible to clean.
It doesn't separate well either

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 08:36 AM »
.....what brand of Basmatti are you using?

Hi Haldi,

Here, I've used "Sultan Pakistan Basmati Rice" supplied by "Spencers Gourmet Trading".  It's pretty cheap (certainly not one of the more expensive) at about seventy pence a kilo.  I find that there is no need to pick through it for loose husks and grit (cos there isn't any).  However, there is a fair amount of loose starch and it therefore needs a good rinse to prevent the rice from sticking. 

I've also used several other, similarly priced, basmati rices (such as "Elephant Brand") with very similar (i.e. good) results.  I should think that any other half-decent Basamati rice will suffice, provided you give it a good rinse beforehand.  Cooking times may vary though.

I also love Tilda Basmati rice which, I recall, cooks really quickly, is nice and fluffy, has nice long grains and has great aroma and flavour.  I also recall it being considerably more expensive though!   :o

Regards,
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 09:12 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 11:12 AM »
I am not sure if you have seen recent comments in the press by various Trading Standards people; but there is great concern about the cheap Basmati rice appearing in this country.  I have already posted comments about this subject elswhere at an earlier point, but briefly the cheap brands are being mixed with other types of rice and reject stuff, also the growing conditions may be somewhat undesirable (sewerage water etc).  So as ever you makes your own choice an live with it.  Just remember Rice is one of the most dangerous (even lethal) foodstuffs we eat, so my advice (professional) is buy the best.  Another point: did you know that if you buy good quality rice and store it for aboyt 2 years or so in a dark dry place, you will have the finest rice you have ever eaten?  The Asians do and they trade with it!

Happy (safe) cooking

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 02:13 PM »
....there is great concern about the cheap Basmati rice appearing in this country....I have already posted comments about this subject elswhere at an earlier point.....

Please could you provide a link to this CP?  I'm sure others may find it helpful?

...but briefly the cheap brands are being mixed with other types of rice and reject stuff, also the growing conditions may be somewhat undesirable (sewerage water etc).  So as ever you makes your own choice an live with it.  Just remember Rice is one of the most dangerous (even lethal) foodstuffs we eat....

...yes, but isn't this more to do with the growth of bacteria in cold rice (i.e. "Bacilleusereus", which is killed by heating the rice to a temperature above 630C) rather than the growing conditions or the mixing of types of rice?

....so my advice (professional) is buy the best....

Is "the best" also the most expensive CP?  Is "the best" what BIRs use???   I suspect that BIRs will simply use the "best value" Basmati rice they can find....i.e. a compromise between "the best" rice and lowest cost!

...Another point: did you know that if you buy good quality rice and store it for aboyt 2 years or so in a dark dry place, you will have the finest rice you have ever eaten......

Yes, I understand that it can be "matured" for many years in fact!

The Asians do and they trade with it!

Quite right CP!  As evidenced by this web site! http://basmati.com/  Clearly rice is a significant trading commodity!

Thanks for your comments CP...intrigueing as always!  8).....though I do believe (only my opinion of course!) that we are at risk of becoming paralysed by paranoia....but forewarned is forearmed I suppose and each to their own!  :P
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 02:49 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 05:21 PM »
Yes Cory points taken and they are correct, depends where you are coming from and what is an acceptable risk.  As a professional I have to be careful what I say in my posts so that is why it comes across a bit anal; I can't be seen to be giving advice that is at loggerheads with what the Health authorities are saying.

On the growing conditions point, there is concern about where rice is grown and under what conditions.  Sure, it is never the perfect place, but I have heard there is concenrn that there may be other impurities creeping into the food chain.  Yes reheating and the storage of rice is still the major concern as you say. Bacilleusereus is always present to a lesser or greater degree, but its danger arises from its rapid growth potential after the rice has been cooked and cooled and then re-heated.  As I have said elswhere BIRs and all other food retailers are only allowed to store their rice warm after cooking for 4 hours, then it must be chilled and frozen, or chilled and reheated by portion (microwave).  Another important factor is it is not destroyed by heat like other bugs.  The outbreaks of food poisoning from Chinese and Indian restaurants were often just put down to the quality of food and poor hygiene; however it now appears that most of it (and still does) comes from bad rice management.

BIRs and rice? Most I have visited or mad enquiries to all seem to use middle of the road rice, but not cheap rice.  I think bog standard Tilda is the benchmark.  But I concur that may well have changed since the BIRs have more competition these days and need to cut costs.

I can't find where I posted the original stuff at the moment, I do remember it did cause a stir then ::)  It may well have been removed because of the other comments that appeared later.  I also posted links to the Food Standards Agency and Health & Hygiene sites.  If I have some time maybe I can put something in hints and tips with your good comments from the unofficial point of view.

Must go

CP

©2024 Curry Recipes