Author Topic: Ghee or Oil  (Read 10267 times)

Offline Invisible Mike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Ghee or Oil
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 11:59 AM »
I guess the best thing to do is just try it. The reason I became curious was because I discovered a local takeaway of mine uses ghee in their pilau rice which when I tasted it was a revelation. I wondered if I would have a similar revelation in the curry itself. I will have a go next curry session...

Nice tip on KTC though Stu-Pot I'll look out for that.

Offline mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 04:29 PM »
Ive been knocking up my own butter ghee for a couple of years now. I tend to use it more for special occasions. I dont like the canned stuff. Its got a weird aftertaste compared to home made.

Generally though, I use veg oil  out of convenience/laziness.

Regards

Mick

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 07:12 PM »
Try a little veg ghee in the base and stick to veg oil for dish frying.

I've never actually tried frying in ghee. I don't plan to either. I guess its down to what your used to.

Veg ghee will solidify in the fridge - next time TA keep some back and see how it gets on in the fridge.

I use 30g veg ghee per 800g onion. You can increase it quite a lot if you need. The Ashoka base is a example of a lot.

Offline Geoffbrick

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 10:17 PM »
Was in store in Handsworth(Bham)buying Methi(two large bunches ?1.50)and was falling over various cans of ghee.Speaking to the store owner about the use of,he says the family use oil with a finish of ghee(roughly speaking,Idont speak urdhu or Punjabi too well!! Great shopping

Offline leodis1970

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 08:58 AM »
Much as I love butter ghee, I find that vegetable ghee is much, much cheaper and although not quite the same as the "real thing", still adds more flavour than oil. Use it in just about everything, curry or not!

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 07:42 PM »
If it's any help I use KTC Butter Ghee because I love the taste of butter and IMO  KTC WON HANDS DOWN.
now that's interesting
I tried cooking Adey's recipes, and quite a few (including the base) use butter ghee

they just tasted "off" to me
and it was the ghee doing it

They brand I was used, was Heera Butter Ghee

Maybe I should try again using KTC

Thanks for the heads up Stu Pot!!

littlechilie

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 09:33 PM »
Interesting but I'm not buying into the Ghee improving my currys thing, ok it has it's place in some dishes. But after many times of buying ghee and using it in base it's ok but I preference veg oil. As a poster mentioned above, ghee solidifies when cold! And I have never seen a TA curry solidify in my fridge, and it's not something I want to see.

Ok it has it's please in sweeter richer dishes were it can be hidden.

I believe a lot of TA are more inline with health these days and also use veg oil as standard, most  customers no longer want to see oily food !

TA and BIR want customers bums on seats, also a healthy profit when they return time and time again.

Offline Kattis

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 10:57 AM »
Having watched numerous videos on YouTube it seems a lot of chefs including H4ppy's mate Sam seem to favour ghee instead of oil. I've only ever used oil in the finished dish. Does anybody think ghee makes a better curry. Also what type of ghee - vegetable or butter?

Cheers

Mike
hej :) i find Ghee has more flavor :) as i can not get it in sweden i just microwave a 500g of butter and that separates the ghee :)

Offline Donald Brasco

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2019, 03:42 PM »
Ghee is

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2019, 08:18 AM »
 ;D