Balti
0 (0%)
Dopiaza
0 (0%)
Jalfrezi
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: May 06, 2015, 12:36 PM

Author Topic: Hello, I'm Paul and I'm a curry addict.  (Read 1857 times)

Offline zomodachi

• Chef
    • View Profile
Hello, I'm Paul and I'm a curry addict.
« on: April 20, 2015, 10:22 AM »
Hi everyone!

My name's Paul and I live in Tokyo. Life is good over here, but I miss being at home (UK) where you can get amazing Indian food. To fill the gap, I started my own curry website: justinmycurry.com It's a project of passion, mainly. If anyone has any good curry tips - recipes, stories, restaurants etc., please share them with me. I'm an open book and my passion is very hot Indian curry!

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Hello, I'm Paul and I'm a curry addict.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:29 AM »
moshi moshi Paul (thats the only japanese I know) and welcome to the forum. There's plenty of tips and recipes on here but we do like a credit.

How different are the indian curries over there to back in England?

Offline zomodachi

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 01:19 PM »
moshi moshi Paul (thats the only japanese I know) and welcome to the forum. There's plenty of tips and recipes on here but we do like a credit.

How different are the indian curries over there to back in England?

Hey there! (konnichiwa :))

Thank you for the warm welcome. There are a lot of Indian and Nepalese curry restaurants here but the main difference is that they cater for Japanese tastes (no surprise), so that means very little in the way of serious spice, whopping great naan breads, and Japanese rice (a travesty really). The Nepalese and Northern Indian curries are creamy and thick, though not like what we get at home (not much ghee in there) and the Southern Indian curries are generally thinner, but you have to look hard to find a good one. If you go for a "lunch set", you're more or likely to get a combination of spice free "butter chicken", vegetable, mutton or keema curry. People don't complain. Guess most think they're getting an authentic experience just going to an Indian restaurant.

We've been to some great places, though, including probably the closest to a UK curry restaurant: Ahilya, Minami-Aoyama. The hunt is still on to find a few more great ones. We started the website for a couple of reasons - we are passionate about curry and wanted to share our restaurant finding exploits, we wanted to create a site that you could get information about the best curry restaurants quickly, and as a way to encourage us to experiment a bit more (though our better halves say it's just an excuse to eat more curry - they might be right ;)). We also hope to raise the standard a little - if people demand, say, basmati rice more, then the restaurants will be more likely to cater for them. Just a lack of knowledge of what a high level curry experience should be. Anyway, we're on a bit of mission now to find the best Indian restaurants in Tokyo and enjoying every minute of it!

Offline buckbanne

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 08:23 AM »
I want to read the content of this again.

©2024 Curry Recipes